PDA

View Full Version : Confession time.

lalalittlelovebird
12-05-2011, 07:56 PM
I have a confession to make. Things had been going at a decently paced rate in the process of getting Echo accustomed to me. But of course I then had to do something that ruined all of that. I kind of grabbed (I did not squeeze or anything just held him in my one hand) and of I was shocked and my feelings were hurt more than anything, but I did get bit. It was enough to break the skin in a few places but not bad enough to make it bleed. I did not react to him biting and waited for him to stop before I let him loose back in his cage.

I did all of that because I wanted to read his band on his leg, to see if I could find out any breeder information. And basically was a pointless event because I ended up not reading it. This happened a little over two months ago.

I wanted to post this here because even though I'm ashamed I did it, I'm not going to hide something stupid that I did before asking for help.

As you can probably imagine Echo reverted to not only just not caring for me, but was seemingly even more terrified of me than when I first got him :very_sad:

I used to be able to open the door of his cage and after about an hour he'd come out, wonder around for an hour then I'd have to go do something so I'd have to half chase him around my room before I could cup him in my hands and help him back into his cage.

Now he won't even approach the door of his cage even if I leave it open for over three hours at a time.

I really just want him to be happier. I know what I did was wrong and now the process of taming is probably going to take twice as long. If I even approach the cage he watches me warily and puts a foot onto the bars of his cage preparing to flee if I make a wrong move.

I am incredibly sorry for the long post. I do love Echo in all of his goofy ways. I just want to make his life more enjoyable. If there is anything you can suggest for me to do for him please let me know. Even if I can never give him scritches or anything. I even plan on letting his feathers fully grow out and not get them clipped so he can return to his cage on his own. I just want for him to be happier. If you can give me any hints or tips on where to go from here they would also be greatly appreciated. Again, sorry for the tremendous post.

lemonypickett
12-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Hi.

Don't apologize for trying to read his band. That is important information that you needed for many reasons.

Now... to make him want to come out of his cage.

Is he clipped? Some of us have had great luck in a conservative wing clip that makes a glide to the floor, a very easy way to have them "step up" to our finger.....

Have you tried a tasty treat of millet from the hand?

Remember slow and steady wins the race :happy:

lalalittlelovebird
12-05-2011, 08:24 PM
It would have been better had I actually been able to read it. Yes he is clipped, I actually got him from a small pet store, and the owner had his own birds and I paid extra for Echo to be clipped. It was done right, and Echo can fly down, and sort of horizontal. I'm thinking of just letting his feathers grow out whenever they eventually grow back in or however you want to put it.

I have tried using millet to coax him over to me through the bars of the cage, to be near me but still feel the safety of the bars. Before the incident he would sometimes come near me for that. But after the incident, like I said the whole situation now is worse than what it was when I first got him.

When he is down on the floor he will not come near me in the slightest I'd have to go get him, which ends up just being a bad incident in itself.

Christian
12-05-2011, 08:30 PM
I would sit next to his cage at a comfortable distance, with the door open and just have conversations with him on daily basis. Remember to speak in a nice soft tone. Also, since parrots are social in nature, I would make it a point to have meals next to his cage, again at a comfortable distance, and maybe offer him something (bird approved of course). Don't necessarily try to get him to take it from your hand but maybe just place it in his dish. Sounds crazy, but when I get home to Mateo I always ask him about his day, etc. I talk to him just like I would any person. Good Luck!!

Lawrence
12-06-2011, 03:11 AM
how long have you had the bird? I ask because most of my birds dont like me to touch them, yet I grab them every 2-3 months to clip their wings. While they may be panting after being held and wing-spread and clipped, after a few days they will still line up near their cage doors whenever i come into their room with treats in my hand. I think there is a certain threshold measured in time that they dont view you as a threat but just an annoying flock member to be tolerated :blush:

Cheers,

Lawrence

lalalittlelovebird
12-06-2011, 09:41 AM
I've had him for about four months I think. Also I still spend half of the day with him sitting at my computer across my room from him, and talk to him softly. He has no problem eating, drinking, or sleeping in front of me from that distance. Maybe I will try that sharing food thing.

linda040899
12-06-2011, 10:10 AM
I have to agree that you may have to start back at square 1, being near him and just allowing him to come to you. The experience actually taught him, in a round about way, that you don't intend to harm him, which is probably why you didn't receive a full fledged bite that drew blood. I don't think the relationship is permanently damaged, just stalled a little bit. Try, at least for now, covering your hands if you need to do something near him or in his cage. I'll admit it can be a bit difficult trying to replace a food or water dish with your hand pulled up inside a long sleeved article of clothing but it may help him feel that what you are doing is no threat to him. Also, bribery with food is very apt to eventually get you everywhere! :)

Every single member here has made mistakes with their birds, me included, but if you learn from what you do wrong, it's not unrepairable!

personatus
12-06-2011, 02:45 PM
I always used to grab my tame birds, not suddenly, but on a regular basis. I also hold all my non tame birds on a routine basis too. They need to get used to be holding them and realise I won't hurt them. In emergency situation you need to be able to pick the bird up, so it's normal. They get used to it eventually. Most of my non-tame birds will simply lay on their backs on my open palm now. The youngsters go crazy trying to bite etc, but they soon get used to it.

lalalittlelovebird
12-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Thankyou everyone fork your advice, I'll try and keep everyone updated with any progress.

Pips mom
12-09-2011, 06:07 PM
It's not the end of the world if you grab your bird. I think we all end up doing it at one time or another.......as bad as it may seem, it does show that you're not going to hurt him and birds do get used to being handled........I've always had to kind of chase Pip a bit to get him, but he knows now that I just want to hold him and kiss him and be an annoying mamma! He tolerates it well and having to grab a bird has never ruined my relationship with any of mine. I think most birds are actually pretty understanding and forgiving......he may seem to be afraid for a little while, but he'll get over it! It's probably not the best way to build trust, but it won't ruin things........once your bird learns that you love him and are part of the flock, he'll forgive you!

momo
12-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Agree with the others. It's not the end of the world but you are back at square one.. We've all made mistakes, but it's not a mistake so long as you learn from it..

You just have to remind your fid that you aren't a scary monster.. I have Chicken who was an aviary bird but I brought him inside.. one day Elmo bit Chicken's toe and I had to take him to the vets.. that already burnt the small bridge I had with Chicken by putting him in the carrier cage.. and then for two days afterwards, twice a day, I had to give him medicine. This involved more grabbing... It was safe to say that whenever I went near him anywhere he'd fly off.. 3 months down the track he's back to landing on my head and giving me haircuts.. it just takes time. Don't rush trying to re-establish the bond, that might make it worse..

ps... spray millet is the best lovebird bridge builder! :whistle: or if you're chicken.. green leaf veggies.

pent565
12-25-2011, 12:27 PM
I have similar issues built up over time with my Gizmo. When I got him he had no issue with my touching him in pretty much any way. Now, he doesn't trust my hands is there is any chance I might get a hold of him and put him back in his cage. The only way I can get him in there how is if I turn all the lights out and wait for him to go to bed. Its my own fault; I tricked him a few times by petting, petting, petting, oop your wings are covered and you can't fly away now! I wish I'd just done the lights thing from the start.

Enko_chan
12-27-2011, 08:40 AM
This happened with lovie Odinn when he was younger. When I'd clip his wings, or once when I had to hold him for even longer to clean up an injury and make sure it wasn't as bad as it looked at first (it wasn't, a lot of blood, a very small wound) he would regress. He was very afraid of hands. He's come a long way in the 2.5 years he's been with us and now when things like this happen, he'll huff and puff and act resentful toward me for a few hours, maybe even a whole day, but he's always back to his normal, happy self before too long. None of these times ever made him completely lose the trust he learned for me, not exactly back to square one, though early on it sometimes would feel that way. I think that every time we were building on the trust he learned to have of me, and that even though he dislikes being held and touched, he first came to understand that I mean him no harm and then to bond with me and to enjoy our time together.

Thornapple
01-27-2012, 11:02 AM
I did this with my hen when I first got her. In my case I thought she was injured and bleeding and panicked and grabbed a hold of her to inspect her. It terrified her beyond belief and touching was a no go for almost a year. She has gotten to the point now where she will let me touch her feet, I can hold her and even cuddle her in a towel and she will preen me and sit on me. It's time and patience, and sometimes lots of it, but if you do these two things he should eventually come around.