PDA

View Full Version : Clay?

lalalittlelovebird
12-09-2011, 04:54 PM
I am thinking about picking up the hobby of making things with polymer clay. Most likely Sculpey. But I was curious about fumes.

I don't intend to bake it or paint it in the same room or anything as my bird. But I'd probably be working with the clay itself in my room, in other words the room with Echo in it. I don't want to do anything that would be unhealthy for him.

If anyone has experience with clay, or thoughts on this subject please let me know what you think.

personatus
12-09-2011, 06:55 PM
I feed my birds clay blocks, so i can't imagine it would do any harm if it's just clay?

michael
12-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Unlike natural mineral clay, polymer clay is composed of two main ingredients, polyvinyl chloride, and phthalates. .. In short, polyvinyl chloride PVC (hard plastic), when mixed with phthalates (a substance that makes plastic soft like putty), may be hazardous to a certain degree.

Heated, polymer clay could release toxic fumes. .. If handled, as a precaution to absorption, its recommended that you wash your hands after use.

Probably the most important consideration is whether polymer clay is safe once its ingested. .. While there is no medical or scientific proof of any hazards existing as far as human consumption, any trial or experimental surveys regarding our avian counterparts, on the other hand, are likely not in anyones best interest. ..............:2cents:

lalalittlelovebird
12-25-2011, 10:05 AM
so it is okay if I work on the clay in the same room as long as I completely clean up and wash my hands then?

michael
12-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Sculpy, as per company and independent analysis, does not contain petroleum distillates or silicone, so fumes shouldn't be a problem. .. Although i'm no expert here, in my opinion, as long as there's no chance of your bird/s coming into contact with it, things should be fine. .. Final baking, on the other hand, in order to harden a finished sculpture would be out of the question. ... Word of advice, is if you can smell it, then you and your birds are without a doubt breathing particles of it. ... Exception is PTFE fumes and radon. By the time you smell these, its probably too late.