PDA

View Full Version : Lovebird dilema and am need advice... we arent happy anymore

lemonypickett
12-18-2011, 09:26 AM
As some of you may remember, 4 years ago I got my first Lovebird Eddie..... All was bliss. Then I tried to save that injured Lovie Marley, but he ultimately died. After that, Eddie seemed to miss him, so I got him Jimmy. They have lived together for 3 years without much incident.

Problem is, Eddie does his scream chirp alot, feeds Jimmy, and is now starting to bite his back again. I think he is frustrated with his life. Is this possible? All I know is he (and jimmy does the chirping now too)

So, I have been considering seperating them and pairing them with females. Or rehoming Jimmy to someone with a male, as he doesn't seem to be as sensitive as Eddie is. Will he be quieter and happier? I feel like maybe I pay him less attention than I should because "he has Jimmy".

Insight appreciated.

linda040899
12-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Sounds like a possible bid for attention to me, although I could be wrong. Even though all my birds have companions (if they want them), they still want (and get) attention from me. I've been spending a lot of time at the hospital with my husband these past 3 months and my parrots have definitely let me know about it!

You've gotten 2 new parrots lately. That means you have to split your time further than when you first got Eddie. Sounds like the lovies may not be happy about the situation. Harley (TAG) let me know in no uncertain terms that there will be no more larger parrots finding new homes here. Lovebirds Plus Inn for parrots in need of new homes is officially closed............

As for getting them female companions, male + female usually = offspring.

lemonypickett
12-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Thanks Linda, I will try spending more time with them. Since I got Burt, I have been fearful of them being out together, and even keeping Burt in his cage.... They could land on his cage and get bit.

They are sleeping in side by side sleep cages, and Burt calls to them when they leave the room. I may try them all out together again and see how it goes (squirt bottle in hand). It would be great if I didnt have to split out of cage time.

You are right Linda, I have been giving them less attention. I will up my game and see how it goes. I don't think PBIRD will appreciate the shouting when he is out of quarantine.... I may keep him in the house and put the noisemakers out in the birdroom (it was wired this week..... )

Thanks for the help :-)

lemonypickett
12-20-2011, 07:27 PM
You were right..... they needed more out of cage time. I got over my fear and have been working with all three birds being out at once.

I will keep everyone updated.....