PDA

View Full Version : Update!

lalalittlelovebird
12-19-2011, 11:17 PM
Within these past few weeks there has been what seems to me like a huge leap in progress!

Now granted I still have to chase Echo around the inside of his cage sometime to get him to come out of his door, but he's been getting better at coming out on his own.

About a week or so ago I started using this crochet blanket by wrapping it around my arms and hands and if I'd go over to him he started climbing onto that and up to my shoulders. Wich I thought in itself was exciting. Which means he got to ride around on my shoulder while I walked around the house and if I'd sit somewhere he'd hop onto the furniture and not leave too far from me. Yet whenever it was time to get him to take him back sometimes it was easier if I could just cup him in my hands to put him back.

But yesterday I had yet another breakthrough, now (if i can... I want to say corner him, but that's not exactly it) he's starting to hop onto my hands and at one point I was actually able to sort of pet him.

I am ecstatic! I'm going to just keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully this is helping to build his confidence up, it sure makes me happy to be able to spend even more time with him. If you think I'm doing anything wrong let me know, any tips as always are appreciated. I just wanted to share the good news though!

On a side note I've noticed he's been molting and he's got these little funny spots I'm not sure if they are exactly pin feathers or what, but there is a decent amount sticking up especially on the back of his head, is that normal? I've read that some birds get nippy around their molting time, but I've not noticed that at all, Echo (other than that one time) never bites, it's crazy. I think it's funny that I hear about all these fiesty bitey lovebirds and then Echo is just this little sweetheart.

michael
12-20-2011, 12:30 PM
.......On a side note I've noticed he's been molting and he's got these little funny spots I'm not sure if they are exactly pin feathers or what, but there is a decent amount sticking up especially on the back of his head, is that normal? I've read that some birds get nippy around their molting time, but I've not noticed that at all, Echo (other than that one time) never bites, it's crazy. I think it's funny that I hear about all these fiesty bitey lovebirds and then Echo is just this little sweetheart.

Certainly sounds like a molt! .. As long as Echo's not sporting any obvious bald spots, he should be good to go. .. Of course, for most birds, molting can be an uncomfortable process. And like you mentioned, some can get a bit nippy too. .. Because the back and top of his head is the most difficult to reach, thats where you'll notice a fair amount of white keratin covered pin feathers. . Sometimes poeple will scritchie this area in an attempt to help release the new feathers from the protective keratin sheath. Problem is, some birds might enjoy this attention, others might not be so receptive :omg:. .. You may also notice a few pin or "blood" feathers within the larger tail and flight feathers. . These can be extremely sensitive and are usually better left alone. .. Should you ever notice any bleeding, especially around the tail area, there's a fair chance its the result of a damaged blood feather.

On a side note, Echo's progressive good nature is definitely built upon his ever growing trust in you. .. By continuing to be patient, and trusting your own parronting instincts, i'm sure everyone will do just fine. ..... Fantastic update!........:)