PDA

View Full Version : Odd Romace?

pent565
12-25-2011, 11:56 AM
I haven't been on here in a while, but I really had to find out if there is any precedence for this. My lovebird, Gizmo, seems to have strange romantic, erm, preferences. It all started when I bought home "piggy", the hairless guinea pig. He lived in a big aquarium (75 gal) with a heat light, and an open top. Gizzy would go in there for the light, and her, erm, struck up a relationship with the guinea pig. I mean full courtship dances, clicking to impress, and regurgitating food into the guinea pigs mouth, which piggy loved, btw. Sadly, I developed an allergy to Piggy. I thing it was the hay diet. I've had various furry, spiky, scaled pets since then, but none Gizzy has really connected to... until Sherlock.

I brought Sherlock home three days ago. He is a hairless rat, about 10 weeks old. I introduced him to Gizzy today. I tell you, it was love at first sight. I haven't seen a courtship dance like that from my Gizmo in years. So, in conclusion... Gizzy has a hairless fettish. He has now tried to persuade Sherlock to take offered vomit, thus far to no avail. The tail confuses Gizmo; he seems to think it shouldn't be there, much to poor Sherlock's distress.

Does anyone else have a lovebird with... um... unusual preferences?

thebubbleking
01-03-2012, 03:18 PM
:rotfl other then with thier toys my flock are not into inter species relationships lol

Enko_chan
01-06-2012, 04:43 PM
My baby parrotlets cuddled with a plushie piggy when they were featherless beings, but once they got their feathers they attempted to destroy the poor little guy. I wouldn't bring another species within their "airspace". I've had inter-species relationships among parrots, and inter-breed relationships, even offspring, among dogs, and we had a shetland pony and a pig that were inseparable on my family's farm when I was a kid (when the pig died, we nearly lost the pony to malnourishment). To each his own preferences, I suppose.

MissLissa
01-11-2012, 11:04 PM
My first peachie, Ike, was greatly enamoured of Amazon parrots. I had to be so careful with him, because the objects of his great and undying devotion were often somewhat less thrilled with him!

Ike was also a guy who really liked babies; he would feed any baby, of any species, at any time. One of my fondest memories of him was when we were desperately trying to keep him away from a friend's young greenwing macaw, which we were birdsitting. The greenwing would beg for a bit of warm applesauce (she was a baby, and in a strange place, so we gave her some warm homemade applesauce for comfort food), and Ike would just start a-pumping... silly green monster. Ike also helped raise a few abandoned cockatiels, and fostered several lovebird and parrotlet babies- all by himself. He never had a mate. He was a pretty incredible bird.

Pips mom
01-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Pip absolutely LOVES dogs! He used to ride around on them at his previous home before me, and we had a big black lab that was great with the birds........Pip used to ride around on him as well! Last year this time I got a new puppy.........Pip would try to get at him and one time even flew down to the floor to be near him! :omg: I have pics of him on the lab we had and trying to get the puppy somewhere.......I'll have to look for them. I can see also whenever I've taken Pip to the vets.......the interest on his face when he sees dogs.........his little eyes light up! Yup, Pip's a doggy lover! I'm really starting to wonder alot about lovies tending to form relationships with other species of birds and other animals......it seems common, and lovies are so very social. I think I posted this video some time ago, I'll post it again, with a lovebird who loves a rabbit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0arZsk1zlQc

thebubbleking
01-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Hrmm hard to beat a lovebird and rabbit... but i can! a lovebird and ducklings!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebytq9tqSHQ&feature=related

Pips mom
01-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Hrmm hard to beat a lovebird and rabbit... but i can! a lovebird and ducklings!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebytq9tqSHQ&feature=related

Cute!!! them lovies......they certainly are not prejudice against other animals not being like them, are they? Hey,........if you're cute, fuzzy and friendly, then hey, what's not to love, right? I love how lovies don't judge......they seem to not even realize there is a difference between them and another animal......if only people were more like lovies!

Arabianhorselover
04-16-2012, 11:04 AM
All of my birds like to go into my guinea pigs cages. They forage around in there, go into the piggies houses, and sometimes give the piggies a peck! The guinea pigs accept them like one of their own. It is the funniest thing! They would never immediately accept another guinea pig, but they accept the birds.