PDA

View Full Version : Checking In

Enko_chan
12-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Its been a while since I posted. Its been a rough few months, but the birds are doing well. The lovebirds are doing fantastic. They have to be the most easy-going, best-behaved, quietest parrots I have ever encountered. They're happy with everything. They've followed Koko's example of calling me by my first name, which is so strange. I never expected the lovebirds to become as verbal as they are. They say...

"Hi Kristi!"
"Hi Goodmorning!"
"I love you!"
"Treats!"

they're often as one being in two bodies.

Frey saying "Sweet" and Odinn saying "Heart"

Frey saying "Frey" and Odinn saying " 'N' Odie!" it's BEYOND adorable!

as with the other birds, no one ever taught them to say any of these words, they just picked them up. Everything they say ends with an exclamation point. They're healthy, they eat well, they're friendly with everyone... and at the moment they're playing and enjoying life. Frey's still a little preen machine, and Odie's still stepping up on mine and Chris's fingers like a good boy.

The parrotlets are doing well. Haruki, Benny's son, we've named Ruk for short. He's a gentler version of Benny. He's even taken to stomping around chanting "Ruki Bird Ruki Bird Ruki Bird" (like his dad does "Benny Bird Benny Bird Benny Bird"). All four babies are living with us. They're healthy and happy and filled with energy. They're sweet and smart little parrots just like their parents.

Kokoro is doing well, though he had a really difficult molt. The stress lead to plucking for a little while. I grow fresh aloe and keep neem salve. Though Koko hated the neem salve so much it actually lead to more plucking in the short term, in the long term I think it actually helped. I kept the aloe on him every day, and he liked it. We had a little saying "Preen keeps you clean, pick gets you sick" and he liked that too. I noticed that he was making a layer of feathers in his hut to lay on, so I took the hut out and got him a perch tent instead. This was not popular at first, now the perch tent, the sleepie teepie is a flock favorite. He got through the crisis without damaging his skin and shortly after we made the changes that helped, the picking and plucking stopped. After the molt ended, Koko grew thick, shiny, beautiful feathers- no one who didn't see him all plucked and tatty would know that anything had happened. He's a good boy and continues to surprise me with his innovation in communication.

I hope you all are doing well. I'd like to post more today and more often in general and will do my best to be around more often.

Pips mom
12-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Thanks for checking in Kristi..........it's always good to know that you and the flock are doing well! Hope that you had a good christmas and are feeling ok

michael
12-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the update Kristi! .. I always enjoy reading your posts :). ... Recently, Goof experienced a molt. Usually this does nothing to instigate his picking, but this time proved different. .. Although things are slowly improving, I think we're going to go try the neem again, but only after his yearly well bird exam. ..... Take care.