PDA

View Full Version : feeding eggs to lovebirds?

Emmy
01-07-2012, 01:53 PM
I know I can give my zebra finches mashed up hard boiled egg. I'm sure I saw an illustration somewhere of a peach faced lovebird with half of a hard boiled egg in its shell in front of the bird. Can you give lovebirds half of a hard boiled egg with the shell left on?
I know they are supposed to like fruit too but my one wont look near fruit of any kind, just thought I would try the 'egg' if its ok to do this.
Emmy

linda040899
01-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Eggs are actually good for all types of parrots, as they contain Vit D, a vitamin needed by birds to use the calcium they ingest. Answer is yes but I don't offer the shell along with the egg. I had an almost unfortunate experience with egg shell some yrs ago so, I personally, have opted to play it safe rather than take another risk. It could have been just a freak happening but I'm not ready for another potential episode. Egg shell is a good calcium source but I use collard greens, figs, cuttle bone and kale as alternate sources.

Emmy
01-07-2012, 04:30 PM
Thanks Linda
Unfortunately my lovebird wont touch the cuttlefish or mineral block (I keep putting fresh ones in the cage but no luck) but I will try the hard boiled egg. Should I just half the egg and give only half at a time or does it have to be 'mashed up' like what I do for the zebra finches? I was thinking about trying putting in a tub of fresh watercress (bought at the supermarket for using in sandwiches) I would appreciate your advice about that.
(Hope I'm not being too much of a nuisance with all my queries .)
Emmy

michael
01-07-2012, 06:31 PM
:) Hi Emmy. .. My lovebird Goofy likes his hard boiled egg served up either whole, or chopped into tiny pieces. ..I know, he's a little strange :lol. .. Using a light coat of olive oil in a stainless steel pan, he also likes them scrambled too. ... Unfortunately, one of the largest hurdles is getting our birds to even try new foods, whereas without the influence of their parents or flock mates, introducing anything unfamiliar can become a bit of a challenge. .. Any chance your lovebird watches your zebra finches consume their mashed up eggs? .You could even try tiny pieces too, as smaller is less intimidating. .. Watercress, kale, etc, can all be offered in a variety of different ways. .. Sometimes leaving them wet (especially whole leafy greens) after washing, might entice a nibble or two. .. And don't forget to eat them yourself, as your influence can make a difference in everyones health. ..........:)

Emmy
01-08-2012, 04:04 AM
Many Thanks Michael

I'll try what you suggest
I think I'll try the egg first

And don't forget to eat them yourself, as your influence can make a difference in everyones health
:)I just love vegetables so I have no problem:lol and I agree whole heartidly with your quote.:happy:

Are the any vegetables that could harm a lovebird eg spincah?
Emmy

michael
01-08-2012, 06:07 AM
......Are there any vegetables that could harm a lovebird eg spincah?
Emmy

Yes. .. Top of the list is avocado. It can either kill a parrot or make them extremely ill. .. Spinach, although safe, is a bit high in oxalic acid, which in turn, inhibits the absorbtion of much needed calcium. ... Please, check out our "Lovebird Resource Library" where you'll find plenty of valuable information regarding food choices as well as lists for toxic plants, wood, etc. Here's a link to just one article that can be found in our library > http://www.holisticbirds.com/pages/foodpp1002.htm < If you visit the library, you'll find plenty more useful articles ranging from breeding, to how to properly hold your lovebird. ... Rule of thumb with food choices; Only feed a parrot foods you already know are safe! ..........:)

Emmy
01-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Many thanks for the link I have a look at that
Emmy

lyndak
01-12-2012, 02:16 PM
All birds are different but when I introduce Noodle to new food, she generally looks at it and won't touch it. If I show her it's food by eating it myself and then offer she some, she digs right in.

I guess my bird thinks she's Royalty and I'm her Royal Food Taster :omg:

lemonypickett
01-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Mine love scrambled eggs! And so do I!! lol