PDA

View Full Version : Ok finish that moult already!

Z28Taxman
02-15-2012, 05:43 PM
Ditto must love to moult, because he always seems to drag it out forever. First he creates little blizzards of white down feathers for a week or 2. Then he waits for all of them to grow back in before startin on the tiny yellow body and head feathers. Poof all over the place. then he takes another break for a week or two before the big feathers start (fights and wing coverts) and finally after all those grow in the tail feathers go.

By the time he's done with all that it's almost time to start over! :rotfl

JudiNh
02-15-2012, 06:10 PM
LOL...wow, you've got his routine down pat. LOL Funny little birdie.

Z28Taxman
02-15-2012, 06:13 PM
LOL...wow, you've got his routine down pat. LOL Funny little birdie.

Well he's been doing it that way for 9 years. I should have him figured out by now. Oops. Now he's going to do something different just to confuse me. :confused:

I think he really just likes to make me clean up feathers all the time.

Z28Taxman
02-24-2012, 08:52 PM
And right on schedule, he's lost a few flight feathers this week and his tail feathers are starting to look like a few of them are ready to moult out too. He'll lose 1 every couple of days then be done.

summoora
02-24-2012, 08:54 PM
hahaha, and how long do you get as a break before he starts again?

Z28Taxman
02-24-2012, 09:08 PM
hahaha, and how long do you get as a break before he starts again?

He usually starts up again with the white down feathers in late June, and finishes around the end of July.

Twice a year like clockwork, mid june and again in late december. Start with the tiny feathers and end with the biggies. And if a flight feather happens to moult out while we're watching tv on the couch is when the fun begins. About 5 years ago he discovered that if he holds it in his beak and rubs the tip on my face, it tickles and makes me crazy. :omg:

summoora
02-24-2012, 10:52 PM
:rotfl
That's so cute!

Enko_chan
02-25-2012, 05:19 AM
Awww... luckily Frey and Odie's molts are usually so uneventful they go by unmarked save for some extra feathers on the cage bottom... Koko and baby Ori (one of Ben and Suri's parrotlet children) if her future molts are as harsh as her first, can commiserate with Dittobird though. By the time Kokoro's molts are over, he barely as any time before the next one and he's so tender-skinned. I wonder why some have it worse than others?

I'd considered mutations, but Frey and Odie are mutations and I'd considered perhaps because Koko is alone, but Ori was with her sister at the time, who helped her preen through that molt... perhaps her sister did not help her preen very well, or even over-preened. Somehow I doubt these things have much bearing on it, but still wonder what, if any, the root cause could be.

About 5 years ago he discovered that if he holds it in his beak and rubs the tip on my face, it tickles and makes me crazy.

That's adorable!

AiSell
03-21-2012, 07:48 AM
That is so sweet :)