PDA

View Full Version : should i get one or two love birds?

JACK
04-10-2012, 02:36 PM
im just wondering if i should get one or two lovebirds because i will be at school from 8 to 3:30 in the afternoon. I really want my lovebird to get attached to me and not fro me to be out of the picture if there are two.please help.

michael
04-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Hi Jack. .. Although 8AM to 3:30PM really is quite sometime to leave a lovebird alone, its certainly not unheard of. .. If anything though, much will depend on its natural disposition towards occupying itself, as well as the guardians abilty to provide a safe and interesting environment. .. Unfortunately, regardless of how good the husbandry, no one can predict any parrot will harbor such a tendency, at least not prior to actually owning it, or predict there won't be behavioral issues for leaving it alone for that time. .. Have you ever thought about another species like a budgie who requires a bit less maintenance? .. Another option might be to adopt an older single lovebird who's living arrangement was already close to your suited lifestyle> Easier said than done, but it is possible. ... As for aquiring a pair. You will always run the risk of being the odd man out, however, that doesn't mean you can't become part of the flock, or accepted by at least one of them. .. There are no guarantee's. ..........:)

JohnUK
04-11-2012, 05:11 AM
Jack: I was asking the same question before I got my two lovebirds (Amor and Vida). I'm usually at home so one wouldn't have been a problem.

Then I thought what if my circumstances change and I suddenly have to leave one lovebird alone for long periods? I knew two would not get so close to me as one. After giving this some thought for a few weeks I decided to get two. So glad I did too. I just love seeing the interaction between the two - preening each other, one feeding the other, playing and eating together and the occasional low key squable. They look so adorable when they sleep together all cuddled up next to one another.

I know they are unlikely to be over friendly towards me but that is a small loss compared to the overall enjoyment the two provide.

I was fortunate that I got two birds that generally get on very well with each other. Equally I could have ended with two lovebirds that didn't get on very well.

You are away from home for some hours - a single bird might get attached to someone else at your home instead of you!

It's your choice Jack but maybe give the one or two birds question a lot more thought before making a purchase - It or them will be part of your life for a long time so there's no rush is there? If you haven't already done so then you could use the thinking time to properly set up the lovebird home.

michael
04-11-2012, 06:21 AM
I was fortunate that I got two birds that generally get on very well with each other. Equally I could have ended with two lovebirds that didn't get on very well.

You are away from home for some hours - a single bird might get attached to someone else at your home instead of you!

It's your choice Jack but maybe give the one or two birds question a lot more thought before making a purchase - It or them will be part of your life for a long time so there's no rush is there? If you haven't already done so then you could use the thinking time to properly set up the lovebird home.

Some very good points here indeed! .. Especially once you realize lovebirds can have a lifespan of up to 15 years plus. After college or high school, a job can take you away for much longer than 7 hours. .. All this really is worth some thought, and some planning ahead.