PDA

View Full Version : Lovebirds and Dogs?

april
10-10-2005, 09:43 AM
How many of you have both? Do they get on? What breed of dog?

I am anticipating that the answer is that they do not get on and if you do have both that birdy comes out of the cage only when doggy is not there?

Just thought I'd ask though and see what other people's situations are! We have a gorgeous, exceptionally tame lovie who comes out a lot and has the free run of our house. Although he is normally on us or his perch, he will fly between rooms to find us and quite often goes down on the floor! However, we always planned to get a dog at some point and are hoping to be able to get one the middle of next year. I know most if not all dogs cannot be trusted with birds so we will have to take great care of our beloved lovie!

Was intrigued to know if anyone has any dogs that do get on the their lovies? My Great Grandmother used to have a free flying budgie and what I called a 'sausage dog' as a child and they got on fine - the budgie would sit on the dogs head, but I suspect this is an exception to the rule!

many thanks,

BarbieH
10-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Hi April; :)

I don't own a dog now, but I have in the past, and at the same time my family owned both a cat and a bird. The dog was always out of the room/outside when the bird was out of the cage.

Some dog breeds are more hunters than others. It would seem that wiener dogs have a low affinity. :) A lot also depends on how the dog was brought up. If I were you, I would try to identify a mild-mannered breed and get a dog that is as young as possible. That way you can train it to be bird safe from a very early age.

However, they would always need to be supervised together. You never want to get too comfortable with a dog-bird or cat-bird household. Even in play, a dog or cat can hurt or kill a bird without meaning to.

Best wishes,

kimsbirds
10-10-2005, 11:03 AM
Common sense always prevails. If birdie(s) are out in my house, all the other animals, (and i have lots) are not in the same room. What you will find is that if you do add a dog to your home, you'll want to either confine the dog whenever the bird is flying around, or designate one particular room for the bird to use, and not have the dog access that room at all. Dogs and cats are predators and as much as we try to domesticate them, they will always have a prey drive.
Sad example...neighbor of ours had a budgie who divebombed their german shepherd all the time...thought it was fun, and the dog loved the game.
Birdie's life ended quickly one morning when birdie divebombed, and doggie opened his mouth with perfect precision. The dog held the bird in his mouth for just a few short seconds, spit it out, and the bird was dead as it lay on the floor.
If there was one cat in my house that I'd trust with my birds, it would be my 15 yr old Midnight. She's very docile, lazy and old. Nothing really affects her anymore..yet I think a flitter of loviebutt might just be what she needs to have that prey drive kick in!! Would I risk that? Nope !!!

Good Luck with birdie, and with your doggy-hunting!!
K

LauraO
10-10-2005, 11:46 AM
My husband and I have often thought of getting a dog, but we don't because we don't trust any dog around our lovies. The discussion of getting a dog really ended when our neighbors puppy was visiting and started hunting down the outside birds. I could just see that sort of hunting in our own home :eek: .

linda040899
10-10-2005, 12:30 PM
Hi April,
The bottom line on birds with dogs/cats is dogs/cats are predators and birds are prey. Yes, there are exceptions (my 14 yr old dog being one of them), but I never trust them together in the same air space unsupervised. The situation can change in a heartbeat and even if I'm close, I may not be quick enough. Do I trust Jordy, my dog? No.

Paulette
10-12-2005, 10:22 PM
My dog a German Shepherd, and cat eat birds for a little outdoor snack now and then....and as good as they are when they are in the house, they are still attracted to a small fluttering creatures, no matter what it is (fly, moth, occasional opposum or mole).....it is just their nature/survival of the fittest and defending territory, as many have already said. My cat is such a quirky, funny little soul...and as much as I love her.....and as good as she had been in the bird room laying on my scanner, which is her bed when she's in here because it's right by me on my table that I use for a big desk.....she tried to eat my finches one day while I was gone.....knocked the cage down and it broke apart and everything was sprawled out in the floor.....mean while my two little male zebra finches were huddled together sitting on top of another bird cage....just a peeping away like no big deal.....had it been a tiel or lovebird with clipped wings, it would have been lunch....so needless to say.....the cat is not allowed in the bird room by herself....and I have to shut to door at bedtime and when I leave the house.

Buy A Paper Doll
10-13-2005, 06:10 AM
Add my mom's dog to the list of bird killers ... we can't have her over to visit any more unless the birds are in their cage and locked in another room away from the dog. Even then my mom doesn't feel comfortable and so she leaves Maggie at home when she comes over to visit. Maggie has killed 2 chickens, a mole, and countless lizards, frogs, bugs, etc. Have you ever tried to catch a lizard? It's not easy. My two lovebirds would be easy prey in comparison.