PDA

View Full Version : Should I try and pick him up?

Bernadette N
05-01-2012, 08:00 PM
I've had my little tame lovebird for 5 days now. He is a blue, green and white peachface. We are smitten with him. When I bought him, the woman who helped me picked him up and put him in my hands. He had no problem with being held (although he didn’t like being picked up). I don’t want him to lose his tameness, and have been told to handle him often and give him attention. We have noticed though, that while he has no problem being held and sitting our hands, he HATES being picked up and will run about his cage so that he can’t be caught. He hates hands coming at him (I’ve read this is normal).

We have been letting him play outside his cage, and he has eaten millet from our hands a couple of times. He has no problem wandering around us in the lounge room and exploring. It seems his favourite thing to do is climb his cage (on the outside).

I just have a question. Should I be trying to pick him up?? (it seems to freak him out a bit) so that he continues to be held? He doesn't mind being held. Or should I do what the literature says, and try and coax him with a perch and teach him “step up” ? I’m confused! (Which could take some time). Any advice would be much appreciated.

michael
05-01-2012, 10:35 PM
If its obvious he hates being picked up, then I would work on "step ups" instead. .. At this point, building trust is whats important, and that can take quite sometime. .. If after a few weeks (or months) you sense he's more comfortable with you handling him, then maybe you can slowly pick him up. .. Right now, its more important that he trust you than it is he feel submissive. ............:)

Bernadette N
05-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Thanks Michael, I just found the behaviour so strange, because he doesn't bite, he loves being with us, and is happy to sit on your hand for extended amounts of time while you walk around the house, or while sitting quietly (reading or watching TV). I tried to put him back in the cage when it was bed time, and he wouldn't even jump on his perch, he was content to just stand on my palm and look around.

A woman at a bird shop tells me that hands seem like talons coming at you from a bird of prey, and therefor are scary. I want him to associate our hands with good feelings, not scary ones.

If its obvious he hates being picked up, then I would work on "step ups" instead. .. At this point, building trust is whats important, and that can take quite sometime. .. If after a few weeks (or months) you sense he's more comfortable with you handling him, then maybe you can slowly pick him up. .. Right now, its more important that he trust you than it is he feel submissive. ............:)