PDA

View Full Version : Just one little bird - tips to keep him amused?

Bernadette N
05-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Hi everyone,

I am new to owning a lovebird. We just have one little bird at this stage. I work 4 days a week and my hubby works 5 days. We have breakfast with our little lovebird sitting next to us in his cage (although Beaker is always half asleep through this), and each evening when we return home, we have about 4-5 hours of 'open cage time', where he plays on and around his cage and explores the room. He seems quite a happy little bird. I want him to stay happy!

We do however, four days of the week, leave him alone for approx 10 hours. I know, it's terribly long, but we do want to keep him happy. Given that he has a dicky wing and missing toes, we figured that other birds might not have taken to him (for whatever the reason). I don't want to subject him to any more birdy bullying.

What we've been doing:

- leaving the TV on for him or leaving the radio (alternating).
- leaving him by an open door with full view of the garden (we have too many cats in our street to leave him out there, unattended - even in his cage.
- Leaving him cut up fruit and veggies to eat with his seed.
- Alternating where we put his cage.
- We plan to change his toys and buy him a play gym for when he's out.
- We talk constantly to him, and let him play when we get home.

Three days of the week, he will be out of his cage for the majority of the day, and rarely alone.

Any tips?

What do your birds like?

Bekki085
05-02-2012, 08:16 PM
My lovies LOVE an empty Pringles can. I put it in the bottom of the cage so they can hide in it. It is the funniest thing to see the can rolling back and forth and hearing happy chirps from a happy bird. :D

Good luck with your new lovie!