PDA

View Full Version : Beaker the amazing Houdini bird!

Bernadette N
05-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Hi everyone,

I'd read that lovebirds are good at watching their owners open and shut their cages, and then copying them, and promptly escaping! For this reason, I was pleased that my large door (the one that swings open), had a few different options to fasten it shut. I didn't quite believe it though, when I woke up yesterday morning and said "good morning" to empty cage with - it's FOOD door half open (the one you slide open to stick the food container in). And there, sitting on TOP of his cage, was a very pleased lovebird. I was quite amazed he'd managed, actually, because they don't slide open easily!

We have now installed a series of very high tech laundry pegs to keep the doors closed. These can be used as mini perches for when one is allowed to exit one's cage (under strict supervision). Very chique!

Bernie :-)

JohnUK
05-07-2012, 03:19 AM
Bernadette N: I'm pleased Beaker didn't manage a full escape from your home. Although small birds, Lovebirds have a strength greater than their appearance suggests - I've seen one of mine lift a large stainless steel food cup with very little effort.

My two watch every movement when I'm near their home. I often think that if the worked in cooperation then escape would be fairly easy. The danger time for my two is when I have them in the kitchen (cooker not used!) and the windows wide open for them to get direct sunlight (not that there's been much of that in the UK over the rececent month or so).

linda040899
05-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Lovebirds are very smart and extremely observant! Mine never cease to amaze me and I've had to do the same thing with sliding food doors, as well as some of the normal cage doors. Clothes pins work quite well and, because mine will chew them, I use wooden ones. High tech? Oh definitely! :)

michael
05-07-2012, 09:43 AM
The first time one of my birds (B.B. Lovebird) escaped, I had thought someone came in and let him out! .. I later found, that by continually hitting the door latch, he could open it on his own. Mind you, he only attempted to do this whenever I wasn't home. Guess he didn't want me to witness his escape? . Thats pretty amazing in itself. .. The door latch in particular, was one of those loosely made lift and slide type. .. Although both my lovies cages are similar, Beeber's is the only one with this type of latch. Goof's has a rotating lever that neither can get their beak through the bars far enough to manipulate. .. Goofy, by the way, also knows how to escape from Beeber's cage. Apparently he learned it from Beeb's himself. Apparently, Goof doesn't mind if you watch him do it either.

I'm glad to hear Beaker didn't get panic trapped in that sliding door as the outcome could have been much different. .. Refered to as "guillotine" style food doors/entryways, they were named such for a very good reason.

Bernadette N
05-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Oh my goodness! Guillotine? Argh! It's seeming more apparent every day, that these little adventurers really DO need protecting from themselves! Poor little Beaker.

thebubbleking
05-09-2012, 03:36 PM
All my cage doors are clothes pinned lol i have had lovies use popcicle sticks to pry doors, seen one hold it while the other goes out and holds it for the one inside, seen them wedge peanuts etc very smart fids indeed! Now they like to lurk and hide and when i open the door to place food treats or water make a quick try for the space i put my arm through! Cheeky monkeys always keep me on my toes.

Z28Taxman
05-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Ditto's origional cage had those kind of food doors. Clothspins didn't even slow him down. I had to use the quick links that hang his toys and screw them closed as tight as I could.

Little bugger knew how to open those too so I had to keep tightening them periodically.

Pips mom
06-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Clothespins don't work here! Pip manages to get them off.....I would always find it on the floor somewhere if I left one attached to the cage bars. I think he pushes them off somehow. I use twist ties on Pip's doors ever since his escape from the cage! Yup, I remember coming home from work to find him sitting on top of Ivy's cage! they are smart little stinkers!