PDA

View Full Version : Anything wrong with my lovebird

Ahbao1983
05-23-2012, 05:24 AM
Sometimes i caught it sleeping at thr bottom of the cage in the corner at night... Sometimes it would just sleep on the tallest perch..

I also noticed it has been tearing and chewing in the newspaper... Not sure if he did swallow the newspaper but he would tear them up in ball form rather than shread form... And it is judt less than 2 months old.. Gender unknown...

It is still very active can jump and fly and chirp for food so i doubt it is sick

linda040899
05-23-2012, 08:23 AM
Considering age, you have, basically, a baby and babies will sleep on the bottom simply because it might be more comfortable at the time. Also considering age, if you are not monitoring weight on a daily basis, you should be, especially if he's eating by himself. You need to make sure he's eating enough on his own to keep himself alive and daily weight (first thing in the morning is true body weight - minus food) will tell you that.

From what you are saying, it sounds like a baby thing but I would be keeping an eye on his weight.

Ahbao1983
05-23-2012, 10:02 AM
He's not weaned yet.. I still feed him 2-3 times a day with formula... I also leave a small amount of mixed seeds and pellets and sonetimes millet in the cage for him to snack on... Is he chewing of newspaper normal..?

linda040899
05-23-2012, 10:13 AM
OK. I wasn't sure about his weaning status.

As for the paper, he's simply exploring it and make sure you only use plain newsprint, nothing glossy or coated. Finger traps are made from bamboo so you might try offering those for him to play with. Ditto with clean popsicle sticks. He's at that age where he has to check out everything and that's what you are seeing. :)

Ahbao1983
05-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Cool... Thanks linda

For a moment i was suspecting if she's a female and was just practising shreading of newspaper for her future nest.. Lol

linda040899
05-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Too young. Paper chewing won't reflect gender until your lovie is sexually mature between 6-7 months and even then, males also chew paper so it's not a reliable indicator.

Yours is at a very cute age!