PDA

View Full Version : Training to become pettable?

greentea
07-02-2012, 10:27 PM
I've had my lovebird for about 4 months, and s/he is about 6 months old by now, I believe. When I first got him, he bit me pretty hard(which I became used to) and allowed me to poke his body with my nose, jumped onto my hand whenever I got him to come out of his cage, etc.
The only problem is that he wouldn't let me pet/rub him(which is absolutely adorable so I totally wanna do it). I wouldn't mind if he was one of those birds who absolutely would never love being petted/rubbed, but he's only 6 months old, so I'm not sure if it's because of his personality or because he is still afraid of my fingers.
I tried to get him used to my fingers by slowly approaching his beak with my index and thumb together, but he always runs up and immediately bites them, usually pretty hard. :cry:
So today, I tried to take a few treats, put them near his face but not close enough to where he could get them himself, and slowly approach the top of his head with my fingers, and if he doesn't bite, then I'd lightly pet his head 2 or 3 times(:happy:), and give him the treat. Though by the 7th time, he just squeaked at me and run away from that area because he knew that I was gonna try to pet him.

So, three questions:
1) If I were to keep doing this, would he eventually become used to me petting him? ):
2) About him running away at the 7th time, is it because he was afraid of my hands, or was he just pooped from how many times I asked him to do it? ):
3) Are there any other ways to do this? ):

I've looked this up a lot, but I don't seem to come up with a lot of results. Sorry if this question has been asked before, and if it has, please direct me to the thread/website.
Many thanks appreciated. :)

linda040899
07-02-2012, 10:47 PM
About all I can tell you, and I've found that this is different with each individual bird, is that some birds just don't like to be petted and that's just the way it is. I have some that are real cuddlebugs and others that are touch me nots, most notable being my African Grey Parrot who has lived with me for over 20 years. We have a blast together but she will growl and scream if I try to touch any other part of her body except her beak.

It's not written in granite that it will always be this way but you will have to take your cues from your lovebird. Many parrots just don't like hands so I simply respect their wishes.