PDA

View Full Version : It's all in the chirp...

kikibird
07-18-2012, 05:49 PM
I just don't know what they all mean :) All those chirps, clicks and ticks, that is. Sometimes I think I understand what they are trying to communicate. I've even learned how to make the short, rapid beak clicking that generally means, "let's be friends". My males have responded with leaps and bounds to my invitation.

BUT...we have a new hen as of 3 days ago. Her name is Halleli and she is a cobalt Masked, 16 month old. She will be my male violet Masked's cage mate. She's in her own cage and just across the room. I set her cage near her future hubby's cage and the two were like velcro to the sides. He's making his loud, rapid clicking sounds. Not the obnoxious aggressive rapid clicking, but rather one that seems mainly to be made by the personatus eye ring. Have never heard my peachies doing it. I know it's a happy chirping though.

My real question though comes from letting him out and standing on the top of her cage for a minute. He ran to her and she ran towards him, but she's making these very short, click sounds. There's a click, then about a 5 second pause, then another click...for a few rounds. I kinda think they are not really happy clicks on the one hand. Maybe insecurity??? But on the other hand, while she does it, she snakes her head, which from what I've been told, is a gesture of excitement. (My little Nefeli used to do this when she was happily excited.) I didn't leave him there on the top of her cage. I just took her cage out of the room while the others had their out of cage time. He was flying all over looking for her.

I normally wouldn't allow anyone any access during the quarantine time, but I'm a little slack on this one. I know the breeder and also have her 2 week old well bird exam, etc.

Any ideas/suggestions on the meaning of different chirp sounds?