PDA

View Full Version : a few different ?'s about my lovie

carvertmmy
08-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Hi everyone.
Last year I adopted a lovebird. He was hatched the end of november or december. I can't remember which.
Anyway we just love the little bird. He gives us lots of entertainment. However, he has never eaten anything for me other than seed. He supposedly was eaten birdie bread for the breeder. I would like tips and things to try to get him to eat more than seed. Is there a particular veggie lovies really like that I can start with?

Also, he loved having baths at the breeders. Not so much here. I have a shower perch, I have tried lightly misting him, letting him play under the faucett, or bathing from a dish. He doesn't seem interested in any of it. How do I get him to like it? Is it necessary for him to have a bath?

Our family has really enjoyed having him. We are thinking about adding more birds. Maybe parakeet, budgie, or parrotlet? I love cockatiels but am allergic to their powder. What should we look into getting? What is the difference between parakeets and budgies? How do lovebirds get along with other birds similar size or smaller? Just wondering. Would like birds that can be let out for play time together down the road, but if they have to have seperate out of cage time that would be fine.

Where is the best source to get a bird from? I hate pet store birds. But people on craigslist are rarely honest about the bird they are rehoming. And I don't think we have many breeders here. Where do you all get your birds from?

What are you favorite places, stores, websites for cages and supplies?

Thanks everyone for your input on all my questions!!

tammy

Pips mom
08-13-2012, 11:31 PM
A good veggie to start out with is corn........it's a favorite with my birds! Peas and brocolli are good too, so are carrots. I get organic when I can. Also.....if you eat these things in front of him, it may encourage him more to try it. Pip used to come right over and steal food off of my plate!
As far as baths go........I bought Pip a birdie bath.....http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16514
He loves this! and takes a bath in it about once a week or so. You could try this and let him watch you fill it with water.......they seem to like a bath when you put fresh water out.
You can add whatever type of bird you want to your flock......a budgie is fine. It's a chance you take that another bird will get along with the one you have now, but that's true if it's another lovebird too, so read and research about each species of bird you're thinking about and then decide what you think is right for you!
As far as where you get your bird from.......that's your choice also.......for me, I prefer a bird from a rescue or being re-homed as they are the birds who are more in need of a good, loving home. Don't dismiss craigslist.........that's where I got Pip......he was being given up for free with cage and I took him because I was concerned about where he'd end up! Alot of people have to give up pet birds for good reasons too........health issues, moving far, owner died.......things do come up in life where good people who love their pets feel it's best to find them another home, and there are alot of birds that are in need of a home and get passed by for a baby from a breeder because people want an instantly tame bird they can handle. Let me just say that Pip is an amazing little bird and plenty tame! All that is needed to have this with your bird is alot of love and understanding, and giving the bird the time he/she needs to form a bond/relationship with you.
As far as favorite places to buy bird supplies......there are many good ones, this one is my favorite........http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ and this one........http://www.avianenrichment.com/ you can wooden ladders here cheaper......all of mine were getting chewed through and destroyed so I found this site to get them at a good price.......then you don't mind so much watching them get chewed up and destroyed! I'm sure alot of other people here have some good/favorite places to recommend as well.