PDA

View Full Version : toenails on curtains

prettybirdmls
08-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Hi there,

Pretty sure there is no easy solution for my problem but thought I'd throw it out there. I have 2 lovebirds (Bill and Monica) ;) who have always had free flight in the house in the evenings. I recently bought new curtains and they are matte, yet satiny. I have a pretty good feeling that little toe nails are going to create snags.

Does anyone find that well trimmed toenails aren't too tough on curtains? My old ones were ratty so I didn't care. Bill and Monica used them as a jungle gym. I am taking them to get a light clip today and am hoping they find their cage playtop entertianing enough, but have a feeling they will zero in on my beautiful new burgandy curtains!

Just looking to see what others experiences have been with toenails and nicer fabrics.

Thanks!

Michelle

linda040899
08-24-2012, 01:16 PM
In my own personal experience, parrot beaks do infinitely more damage than nails! I would probably file the nails down and then offer a couple of well placed concrete perches where they can sit for short periods and that will keep their nails well manicured. The perches need to be at least 1/2" - 3/4" in diameter so the tips of their nails rub against the rough surface. Placement should be where they don't sit for extended periods of time (in front of food dishes is usually good) or their feet can become irritated.

Pips mom
08-27-2012, 09:27 AM
Well, Pip was always a good curtain climber! :lol and never had any problems with nails or with him, but my larger bird, Ivy once got her nails stuck in a curtain when I wasn't home......so I come from work and find that the curtain had to be cut because Ivy wasn't letting anyone help get it off her foot and she was freaking out and she was stuck! She still had the piece of curtain stuck to her foot and nails when I got home and I got it off fairly easily, but I think afterwards her foot was sore for a little while, so after that I never had curtains around my birds anymore!
The curtains Pip used to climb all the time, he never damaged, and he's quite the mischeivous one, but I do remember finding a few very tiny beak holes, barely noticable, so your new curtains I think stand a chance!