PDA

View Full Version : Two lovies fighting over coconut

Raineybean
09-10-2012, 05:54 AM
Hello! I have two lovies. The first is about 3 months old and I was told by the breeder he was a boy. The second is almost 2 months old - and we don't know if she's a girl or boy yet.

My first bird - Lewis - sleeps in a coconut every night - it's his " happy hut"
and my second also had her/his own - in a separate cage.

The birds are now living in the same cage - as they get along and love each other.

BUT - every night when it's time for bed - they fight over the coconut. It doesn't matter which one it is - ( there are two in the cage) they want to be in the same one - together - but they fight and fight... till one gets pushed out -

once they are asleep they are happy and fine - but first thing in the morning - the fighting begins all over again.

what is the problem and what should I do?

I have taken the coconuts out for now - but they love to sleep in them at night... help!

linda040899
09-10-2012, 06:06 AM
Are either coconut large enough to hold both of them???? If not, getting a bigger coconut might be the answer. I make "swings" out of half coconut shells and it's comical as heck to see 2 lovebirds sleeping in one half shell! Yes, they love them and somehow manage to squeeze both bodies into the space of 1 small shell. Somewhere online, a couple of years ago, I bought coconut shell foraging toys for my larger parrots and the inside of them is quite spacious.

If a larger coconut won't keep the peace, you may have to remove both nuts permanently. Fighting can escalate to injury and those injuries can be serious.

Pips mom
09-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Awww, this reminds me of my cockatiels.......tiels are such peaceful birds and are not into conflict as much as lovies are! yet, when it comes to sleeping time......they always fight over the spot where they want to sleep! Woody and Boss were bad with this.....I'd cover them up at night and have to uncover them and pick one up and say.......HEY! knock it off!! will ya?? Woody does better with this with Grace now, but sometimes I still hear this same kind of thing from them too. I guess they like their sleeping spots and are not willing to give them up...........even for their mate! A cozy sleeping spot comes first!!!:lol
Have you looked around and tried to find a larger coconut that they both can fit comfortably in?