PDA

View Full Version : Calm down Dittobird...

Z28Taxman
09-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Normally I can change anything in or around Ditto's cage and it either doesn't phase him one bit or he can't wait to investigate.

Well I seem to have found the one change that will set him off... The ballast in his old light was dying (it buzzed and would fliker on and off every so often and was driving both of us nuts) so I got a new one from avi-tech. This one looks different and set him off on about 20 minutes of hopping around the cage, staring at it and doing his "danger danger chirps). :omg:

I'm not sure I like it either. The old one mounted so that all the light was aimed downward so I had it mounted 8 inches above the cage so that he could sit on a perch below it and be between 12 and 18 inches from it. This one mounts so that it throws light down and foreward and is blinding me. But it does make the cage much brighter.

linda040899
09-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Gheesh! The ones from Avi-Tech are definitely better and I think the brightness is most likely the color of the bulb - 5500K, which is full spectrum. I have to make sure I read the packaging when I get new bulbs, as most are 2700K, 5000K (if you are lucky) or 6500K, which is REALLY bright! Anyway to adjust it?

Z28Taxman
09-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Gheesh! The ones from Avi-Tech are definitely better and I think the brightness is most likely the color of the bulb - 5500K, which is full spectrum. I have to make sure I read the packaging when I get new bulbs, as most are 2700K, 5000K (if you are lucky) or 6500K, which is REALLY bright! Anyway to adjust it?

Actually the bulb is the same since the bulb in the old light I got from Avi-tech (5500k). The old light fixture was an ESU-Birdlife (no longer in business) and it focused all the light downward and didn't shine out into the room. This one is sending the light outward and down so it's much brighter in here. Plus it's a newer bulb (the old one was getting near the end of it's life and wasn't quite as bright).

Fortunately he's calmed down a bit now after I let him out and put him on top of the cage so he could check it out up close and personal. He decided it's not going to eat him so he went back inside to eat breakfast.

Z28Taxman
09-23-2012, 04:23 PM
It took a bit but he seems to be used to it now. He spent most of the afternoon, playing and chewing up his toys more than normal. He usually settles down for his afternoon of napping and lounging between noon and 1pm but today he kept right on playing and snacking until 3 before he napped.

Seems the new brighter light perked him up a bit.

Z28Taxman
09-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Well the new light seems to be a success. He's replaced the danger chirps with happy lovie chirps and contact calls and now going on day two of being like a two year old again playing with everything and being more of a gooofball than he's been in awhile. :happy::happy::happy:

linda040899
09-24-2012, 05:38 PM
That's a wonderful thing to see a happy, active Dittobird! Light definitely can have an affect. You have living feathered proof of that! :)

Z28Taxman
09-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Yep. Much brighter and no buzzin and flickering. Heck it gave me a headache.

If only it didn't shine in my eye's while I'm trying to watch tv...

Z28Taxman
09-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Not only is he more vocal and playing more since I put the light in on sunday, he also doesn't want to go to bed when the light shuts off. When I start to cover his cage, he'll go stand on the perch in front of the happy hut but not go in. Then he'll turn and look at me, climb to the front of the cage and blow kisses.

That light has really charged him up!

michael
09-26-2012, 11:47 PM
Dave. Our avi lights here are only on from 10am-2pm daily. Leave them on past 5, and we're all up till 10pm. Lately though, both Beeb's and Goof have been acting a bit more nocturnal. Come to think of it, a lot more cuddly too. Kissies, always a plus. ......:blush:

Z28Taxman
09-27-2012, 07:02 AM
Dave. Our avi lights here are only on from 10am-2pm daily. Leave them on past 5, and we're all up till 10pm. Lately though, both Beeb's and Goof have been acting a bit more nocturnal. Come to think of it, a lot more cuddly too. Kissies, always a plus. ......:blush:

Ditto's light comes on around 10am and shuts off just after 10:30pm.

linda040899
09-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Dave,
That's actually too long, if I'm reading this correctly, especially if the lighting fixture is within 12" of his cage. The light can evenutally cause cataracts to form so you may want to limit "on" time to about 6 hrs.

Z28Taxman
09-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Dave,
That's actually too long, if I'm reading this correctly, especially if the lighting fixture is within 12" of his cage. The light can evenutally cause cataracts to form so you may want to limit "on" time to about 6 hrs.

It's probably about 12" from the top of the cage. I've got a perch there that would put him about 18"inches from it if he stands right beneath it.

Most of the time he's at least 2 or 3 feet away. I'll have to figure out another way to give him plenty of light to cut it down to only 6 hours.

I initially set up the schedule based on this article form Drs. Foster and Smith: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=1015

linda040899
09-27-2012, 09:27 AM
The only thing missing from the article is the long term effects of exposure to full spectrum lighting at a range of 12", which is the recommended distance. I've seen this happen up close and personal with one of my lovebirds and I know also that bright natural sunlight can even be harmful to human eyes over a period of time. Short exposure is beneficial. Long exposure is not.

Z28Taxman
09-27-2012, 09:42 AM
The only thing missing from the article is the long term effects of exposure to full spectrum lighting at a range of 12", which is the recommended distance. I've seen this happen up close and personal with one of my lovebirds and I know also that bright natural sunlight can even be harmful to human eyes over a period of time. Short exposure is beneficial. Long exposure is not.

True, With the old light it wasn't an ussue becaus it only shined on the back half of hte cage where he doesn't spend as much time. The only place he got direct exposure was on that one perch directly under it where he was about 18" below it.

Fortunately the only way he can get within 12" would be on top of the cage (or hang from the top directly beneath it.

Gotta figure out a way to get light to him (that I don't have to turn on at 5:30am) without it.

linda040899
09-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Can you put it on a timer? Believe me. Six hrs of full spectrum lighting should be sufficient.

Z28Taxman
09-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Can you put it on a timer? Believe me. Six hrs of full spectrum lighting should be sufficient.

His current light is on a timer.

Found a few more interesting articles (not for argument, cataracts have beena concern of mine since I started using the FS light for him 8 years ago).

First one actually recommends at leat 10 hours a day : http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CEUQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpetstogo.net%2Finfo%2FFull_spec_l ights0706.pdf&ei=jXVkUImYI-ay0AGRvICICA&usg=AFQjCNFiJximsicl4Lwv0SZbcVs_WVCXEQ&sig2=yoftI5vaWT6c5gCNPVUUww

This one claims that with proper nutrition (especially vitamin A) cataracts shouldn't happen:

http://www.holisticbird.org/pages/elighting.htm

Maybe I can find a way to mount the light so that it's reflected of the wall and ceiling rather than direct.

Otherwise find another light fixture to mount over the cage without UV. Hmmmm....

linda040899
09-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Interesting article from Holistic Bird.... hhmmmmm

Z28Taxman
09-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Interesting article from Holistic Bird.... hhmmmmm

Yeah, another reason to make sure he eats his carrots!