PDA

View Full Version : Moving my birds across the Country!

ppat324
09-28-2012, 07:18 AM
Hello all. I am wondering how my two love birds will handle around 36 hours in a small cage that is normally meant for a parakeet? Also about 36 hours in a car with my son (who they like) and myself and a dog.

We are driving straight through to Texas with a stop in Illinios to pick up something. Other than that it will only be food and bathroom breaks.

I am leaving in 5 weeks from today and plan on clipping their wings before I go just to be safe.

Any suggestions, Ideas, thoughts would be greatly appreciated....ppat

linda040899
09-28-2012, 08:50 AM
I've traveled with birds before and most handle trips very well. In preparation, I've taken those birds for short car rides, just to make sure they will be OK with what they will be experiencing. Most birds really like traveling but I want to find out......just in case.

Instead of a cage, I usually use an airline approved carrier for transport. Heaven forbid an accident happen, my birds are safer in a travel carrier than they would otherwise be in a cage. I find a safe place in the car for them and I secure the carrier with a seat belt. In case of an accident, anythin loose becomes a projectile and can cause injury to not only the occupants of the cage but to others in the car/vehicle.

If you opt to have food/water inside the carrier, make sure they are tightly secured to the side so that those dishes don't also become projectiles in case of an accident or even a short stop. I usually have millet on the bottom of the carrier, as well as anything else that they might like to forage for during the trip.

With birds, I normally stop in a rest area at least once every couple of hrs so they can get a break from the driving. Since I'm normally the driver, the rest allows me to get a break and stretch my legs.

These are just a few things that have worked well for me in the past.

ppat324
09-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Thanks Linda...they have had short trips before. When I got them they traveled 4 hours in a diaper box (all they had because cage was to big for my car) plus I have had them in cage for vet visits. I just worry about the length of time they will be cooped up. ppat

linda040899
09-28-2012, 11:20 AM
The carrier rather than the small cage might be better for them. I think they will be fine as long as you stop every so many hrs so they can get a break from the moving vehicle. I don't think you will have a problem. :)

Pips mom
09-28-2012, 02:30 PM
It also depends alot on the bird........lovebirds are pretty tough little birds, and I know Pip has always loved car rides! One thing though to keep in mind is that they will tend to like it if it's a nice bright day and they can see things going on around them. Riding in a car after dark though sometimes will freak them out. Even if they're unhappy about being couped up or how long the ride is, they'll get through it ok.........just like we do. I know I hate being couped up in a car for too many hours! but we survive and before ya know it, it's all over and forgotten! Have a good and safe trip!