PDA

View Full Version : Flock Update

Enko_chan
09-29-2012, 09:27 AM
Its been a while since I've posted. I had a rough patch, followed by a busy patch. I've missed everyone here, and I'm sure there are a lot of new faces, beaks, feathers and such.

My birds are doing well. Kokoro's gotten through his horrendous molt without any plucking or picking. Prophylactic aloe baths seem to the trick. That and giving him the preen makes clean, pick makes sick mantra to chatter when the pins come. He lost and then regrew his ENTIRE tail all at once! Quakers have such thick feathers and he has the most sensitive skin I've ever seen. He's also the first and only parrot I've ever met that tells you verbally when something hurts. He's an exercise in contradictions, that one, but I'm mostly just pleased as pie that he didn't pluck and this molt is almost through. I think the most adorable thing he's done recently is his "phone calls." The other day I was making doctors appointments, and Kokoro was trying to "help". He's always been fascinated with the phone and phone voices and phone sounds. I had to go in the other room to finish my talk because the receptionist had to ask me to repeat everything which lead to Koko talking over me and confirming everything. Anyhow, when I came back, I lay down to nap and had the blankets pulled up to my face. After a few minutes, Koko starts talking in a muffled voice, sometimes in a regular voice with lots of squawks and bagocks mixed in. He's talking about how "Kristi's resting, she's laying down", "I can't come out, Kristi won't open the gate" and a lot of muffled and garbled and otherwise gibberish that I don't understand. After a while I asked him what he was doing. He says "On the phone with Benny Bird." Benny bird still won't talk to Koko, and Koko still tries talking to him, and still indignantly professes that "Benny Bird loves me" if anyone asks about it. I just thought this was very sweet and cute, and astonishingly imaginative. He also "pretends" to be me. He says "I'm Kristi, Hi Koko! I'm a girl! I'm a good girl!" He insists on having conversations with him as me and me as him. Ordinarily I would assume that a bird was just mimicking and didn't know better, but Kokoro has known perfectly well which name belongs to whom for a very long time, and as for the gender thing... Koko has a bee in his bonnet about gender, he's very aware of it, very interested in it, and he knows which is which. For a parrot, its pretty darned interesting! He sure keeps me on my toes.

Back to plucking... Koko did well this molt. Oriata on the other hand, one of the two parrotlet babies I raised who are still with me, plucks everything and isn't even molting. She plucked at her siblings in the incubator. I had to separate her from playing with Fili, despite the fact that they played well together and never fought because Fili would just sit there and allow Oriata to pluck her head bald. Fili now has all her head feathers and Oriata's chest is bald. I just ordered several "plucker" toys and have been giving aloe water to Oriata as well as Koko. I don't think she's unhappy, nor do I think she has skin problems, though. She's been plucking since the incubator, and her target seems not to matter. She's an overzealous preener. I gave her a MACAW size preen toy and she DESTROYED it in half a day and went back to plucking. I'm hoping the toys I ordered fare better... I um, hate to say this, but I cannot afford to buy her toys that look like they'd take a huge bird a month to destroy, on a daily basis. Going to order a bunch of inexpensive materials and go from there. Koko has a holee roller toy that he refused to allow back in his house after the first time, maybe if I stuff it with cheap shreddies it will be good. Its reusable, and she can't tear it down, nor is the base of the toy destroyable, presumably. Poor Oriata. Fili is doing well, though she misses playing with Oriata. The girls snuggle as close as they can get to each other a lot. I keep their houses side-by-side so they can talk. My instincts are very strong that Oriata's issue is not a physiological one, but if the problem is not remedied soon a vet visit will be in order so that it does not become one.

Their other siblings, Ruki and Midori are thriving in their forever home, too. They are well-loved, spoiled, really. They get a lot of attention and time out of their enormous palace of a cage. I brought them a present, a palm leaf star shred toy one day. They are more moderate shredders than their sisters. When they finally destroyed it and the star fell, Chris was visiting with his family. (We see the birds when we go to family outings and sometimes Chris takes care of them when their person is out of town every couple of months for a weekend.) Chris took the base away so I could use it to hang a home-made toy and ever since Ruki growls at him and hisses and attacks. We haven't been able to find any more of those palm leaf stars either. Benny and Sayuri are doing very well. Moving around perches and toys, and denying shred materials has kept them off breeding. They have mellowed out a lot. Chris still occasionally gets a nip off Benny while changing water but they don't even bother posturing at me anymore, aside from a little bit of stalking around to show me who the boss is when I take away his food dishes for cleaning.

Last but never least my sweet Lovies. Odinn All-Feather and Sweet Frey Frey. Never have their been lower maintenance parrots than this pair. They are ever a joy. They were the last I ever expected to be talkers, and they're not the way Koko and to a lesser extent Benny Bird are, but they have a lot more words than they did. Once they would talk once in a great while. Now they intersperse their flock calls with each others' names, with sounds, with very adorable body language. Always the lovie voices calling "Fwey-Fwey!" and returning "Odie!" or one say "Fwey!" and the other says "'n' Odie!" So many of the things they say are like that, words or phrases that they split between them. They call me "Kristi" and Chris "Daddy" and everything they say still has an exclamation point at the end of it. :lol When Chris calls, they hear his voice and Odie flaps his wings like crazy and yells "Daddy!" over and over. For a great long while, they refused to go to bed unless Chris and I were both in bed. I'm not really sure when that started but at some point we noticed that as soon as Chris and I were both in bed, the lovies made a bee-line for their sleep spot. One night a few months ago, I fell asleep in the living room reading, and when I came to bed it was 4 AM. I gave the lovies a "ride" to bed as an apology. Every since then, the lovies start chirping and calling to me when I head to bed, and make a racket if I get IN bed without giving them a "ride to bed." Tucking the lovies in has become a tradition. Aside from that little quirk, which is certainly no hassle and I think is pretty darn cute, these little guys have required nothing from me except the essentials, they're not loud, they're not messy, they are well behaved- they are surprisingly low-maintenance lovebirds, most importantly of all they are healthy and happy. To me, Frey and Odie are feathered blessings.

I'm happy to be back and able to do some posting. I've still go a lot on my plate but I will make a concerted effort to come around regularly. I have missed you all. Excuse this lengthy, unedited post. It takes me longer to write now and now that I've finished up, I've run out of time to proof-read. I hope to catch up with everyone soon.

Enko_chan
09-30-2012, 10:10 AM
and update to an update...

the big toy of Oriata's was not a total loss... (it originally was for Koko, they did not have the smaller version of one of the toys he likes so I tried the big one and he did not like it)- since she tears through even conure-size shred toys in a day or less I figured perhaps I would try something bigger... (she shreds it all up and shoves the remains into her water dish.) Anyhow, the big toy was not as devastated as I originally thought, although she did destroy much of it, and tore it down, there were parts that were too tough for her beak and lots of parts inside of some of the tough pieces, that were salvaged because of this. I took the things apart and repurposed all the parts that could be salvaged. I think the toy that resulted is even better than the original... (I had to add some of my own toy parts, and hardware but not much). Just got to keep her preening and picking at something aside from herself and she is pleased.

If anyone has any recommendations for what may be up with her or how to help her with her trouble, I would love to hear them. She is a well-fed, well-loved bird that I hatched and raised. Her other three siblings have no such issues. Their vet visits turned up no problems since Benny was sick with an ear infection almost 2 years ago. As I said above, she picked at her siblings' feathers as soon as they had them, and after she was separated, when she played with her sister, Fili would sit to let her preen and Ori would pluck spots on her head bald. Once I stopped letting them play together, Fili grew her feathers back and Ori started plucking her own feathers.

So far I've ordered some feather and shred toys to help take her mind off her own feathers and to give her something to do when she's not being paid attention, and she's getting aloe baths. If that doesn't help show improvement, a vet visit. Any ideas on what may help her would be greatly welcome.

linda040899
09-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Kristi,
With my own parrots, I've noticed that some like to chew more than others! It's a natural thing, as that's what parrots to best in the wild when they forage for food. I remember reading somewhere that someone created a foraging basket and filled it with all sorts of things to keep parrots busy. I'm wondering if, perhaps, that might help her? It's always been my understanding that a busy beak is attached to a happy parrot! :)

Is she under full spectrum lighting? As Dave found out with Ditto, lighting can have an amazing affect on behavior so this might also be something to look at.

Z28Taxman
09-30-2012, 04:30 PM
Kristi,
With my own parrots, I've noticed that some like to chew more than others! It's a natural thing, as that's what parrots to best in the wild when they forage for food. I remember reading somewhere that someone created a foraging basket and filled it with all sorts of things to keep parrots busy. I'm wondering if, perhaps, that might help her? It's always been my understanding that a busy beak is attached to a happy parrot! :)

Is she under full spectrum lighting? As Dave found out with Ditto, lighting can have an amazing affect on behavior so this might also be something to look at.

Oh yeah, Ditto has always had a full spectrum light but they had magnetic ballasts and flickered. I got a new one from avi-tech with electronic ballast and wow, someone replaced my calm Dittobird with a little bottle rocket! :rofl:

Ditto will go a long time without chewing much then suddenly he'll go chew crazy. I can put a small piniata in his cage and it'll be fine for a year or two with him just chewing off the threadlike bits hanging off it. Then one day he declares war on it (like now):rofl:!

Enko_chan
09-30-2012, 06:42 PM
We need to get new spectrum bulbs and perhaps I will take up Ditto's recommendation and get a new fixture as well... I benefit from the lighting too since their cages are around where I sit to write :whistle:

Foraging toys I make for them, but I will try some ready-made ones maybe she will like those better, if she doesn't like the feather picker ones I ordered. I used to order some for Koko but he likes the ones I make and wouldn't touch the ones I ordered.

Thank you for the ideas! Its good to know that she's not so unique. I suppose Benny and the lovies used to destroy toys with a vengeance when they were younger but now they are more moderate... though neither Benny nor the lovebirds ever mutilated their feathers. Only Koko among my flock has ever had a plucking problem and he did it only twice during molts and stopped immediately afterward.