PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a 1 day old baby.

EgyptianMoon
10-16-2005, 06:13 AM
Hi, Sorry, I wasnt sure where to post this.
# 1 Can I take the father away from the hen while she has a hatchling? I've been feeding this baby every hour since 9:00pm Saturday night. They fed the baby at first then for some reason stopped? She keeps the baby warm, but wont feed it. This is their 2nd set of babies. The first batch only 2 hatched and they both passed.# 2 If I take him out will she leave to eat and feed her baby? I feel she waiting for him.
The male has become a self mutilator about a week ago. He chews under his wing. I've been helping him and keeping him scab free. When I have the money I'll take him to the vet.
#3 Could it be that it's still new to them and me feeding it could help the instinct kick in.
I'm so nervous.
Please some help answer my questions!
Thanks
I'm going back to bed now. Night!

linda040899
10-16-2005, 07:22 AM
Sounds like this pair doesn't realize that the baby needs to be fed. It may take a few days for instinct to kick in. I remember Robin saying that she handfed one baby for almost 7 days before the "light" went on and the parents took over. If/when they start to feed, I would not pull any babies for handfeeding. Let them raise the clutch so they know what parenting is all about. Babies can be tame with just socialization.