PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

Arvon
10-17-2012, 04:06 AM
Hi All,

I responded to a local advert for a breeding pair of Peach faced Lovebirds.

Upon arriving at the sellers home I was told that the Hen had dies the night before.

I was appalled to see the conditions these birds were living in so when offered the Cock bird I thought I could offer him a much better existence and took them up on the offer.

I now want to find him a companion and would like to know the best way to go about this.

(I am dubious that he was part of a breeding pair in the first place)

I am told he is an older bird if this makes a difference.

He is kept in an outside Aviary.

Can I introduce a new bird to him within the same cage>

Should I have another bird in the cage next to him?

Should I get a male or female, young or old bird.

I know, so many questions for a second post but I need help.

thx in advance for your assistance.

regards

Arvon

linda040899
10-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Hi Arvon,
Kudos to you for taking this lovebird into your care. Regardless of anything else, his life with you sounds like it will be better.

Since you are not sure about a lot about this bird and you want to get him a companion, I would look for an older male Peachfaced Lovebird. Males usually get along very well and it's the perfect solution if you had not planned on breeding. When/if you find what you are looking for, you will need to quarantine for a minimum of 30 days (60 is better; 90 is best) just to make sure there are no illnesses that suddenly show up that you didn't know about. After quarantine, put them in side by side cages to let them get to know each other. Males are not usually territorial, so you may be able to put them into one cage or the other without too much difficulty.

Hope this helps.