PDA

View Full Version : Croaks when I stroke her cheeks? What does this mean??

aprylmay
11-10-2012, 10:53 PM
My question lies within this video that I just uploaded on youtube so I could show you all what a bizarre sound she makes when I pet her cheeks starting close to her beak. What does this sound mean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PhzDwPOgAk

Background: We got a 2 yr old female black-masked lovebird a few weeks ago who we're trying to tame. She was rescued back in July from a home where she wasn't properly taken care of. Once she is picked up and held she'll calm down and enjoy being pet. She really loves to burrow in my hair and shirts, but is still a very shy bird. Just wondered what you thought about this type of behavior/reaction.

Thanks!

michael
11-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Hi Aprylmay, and welcome to Lovebirdsplus community. .. Once content, lovies can sometimes produce the strangest vocals. From gibberish to garbles, to tiny squeaks and squawks, the exact meanings are often better left to the imagination. .. I would say though, given her obvious physical complacency, her croaks are the equivalent of a humans ooooh's and ahhhh's. .. BTW, I have a male who purrs. .........:)

aprylmay
11-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Thank you so much for your welcome & your response. I was thrilled to read your message and read it to my husband too. Would love to see a video of your male that purrs, too funny!

michael
11-10-2012, 11:54 PM
I would love to show a video of him doing ANYTHING, however, the moment I lay hands on a camera, he's off and flying. Honestly though, he (B.B.), really does purr in my ear, and it sounds just like a cat! Goofy, my precious peachy, when getting scritchies, sounds somewhat similar to Shemp from the three stooges. Especially when he's molting.

Jacquiinaz
11-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Floyd vibrates the second you start petting him. no sound yet tho.

RicosPoppy
11-13-2012, 09:45 AM
What a great video. Both my birds enjoy getting their ears rubbed, but no croaking sounds yet.

lyndak
11-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Noodlehead makes cranky sounds when she's getting scratches. When we had her the first few days we thought she sounded like she was being tortured and was not happy at all! Soon we realized that that's her happy sound.

When you're scratching her you might want to scratch or rub her actual beak as well. Noodle just loves this and "cranks up" her cranks when I scratch her beak also.

have fun!

lk