PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Violet Black Masked Lovebirds

Gonzalez
11-23-2012, 01:18 AM
Hi,

Currently I have a pair of Fischer Loverbirds and soon I would like to buy a pair of Violet Black Masked Lovebirds. I would like to know whether the Violet Black Masked Lovebirds are as easy as the fischer lovebirds to keep? Secondly I would like to know if they are easy to breed...Anyone have experience with these kind of Lovebirds?

linda040899
11-23-2012, 06:57 AM
I've bred both Fischer's and Masks and I find very little difference between them as far as difficulty. You have to be careful how you pair up your mutations but other than that, both species did just fine for me.

Gonzalez
11-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Hi,

Excuse my ignorance but what are the things that one should be careful about when pairing mutations? Do you know any good articles about this thing? Their young would be exactly like them right?

Thanks

Gonzalez

linda040899
11-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Sorry about that! :) Not to worry about inexperience. All of us here started in the same place you are now. I should have written more.......

One thing I can tell you when it comes to all species of lovebirds. Do not breed double dark factor to double dark factor. This kind of pairing can produce poor quality feathering. I did this before I realized it's a no-no so I've seen it first hand. You can get better quality double dark factor by breeding a double dark with a single dark or you can get it by breeding a double dark with a single dark.

I've never bred Violet Masks so I don't have any pairing suggestions on that but I know we have a couple of people here who have bred them who could share more specific information with you about that.