PDA

View Full Version : Sulky Lovies

ellenmellon
11-23-2012, 01:24 PM
We tend to change around the toys in our Lovies cage about every two weeks, so that they don't get bored. However, every time we do, they decide to sulk for a bit, and ignore the new toys :roll:.

After a few days, they will play with the new toys :lol, but I was just wondering if anyone else's birds do this, and if so, is it normal? :confused:

Cheers all,
Ellen xXx

Mary in Florida
11-23-2012, 01:46 PM
We tend to change around the toys in our Lovies cage about every two weeks, so that they don't get bored. However, every time we do, they decide to sulk for a bit, and ignore the new toys :roll:.

After a few days, they will play with the new toys :lol, but I was just wondering if anyone else's birds do this, and if so, is it normal? :confused:

Cheers all,
Ellen xXx

Our birds tend to be leery of new toys when they first see them. I've seen other people hang the toys either outside the cages, or nearby, so the birds see them and get a little more used to the toys, or even be able to explore the toy if they've a mind to, before the toys get put in the cage.

michael
11-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Several years of introducing new toys to my lovebirds, neither were ever really quick to accept them. A few were viewed as alien intruders, with the majority as though they didn't even exist. If a new toy didn't get attention after two weeks, it was usually a bomb. .. As you could imagine by now, I finally figured out their preferences, that being, stainless steel flatware, dingy bells, and well, just about anything with a shine that includes a decent amount of audible repercussion. .. At any rate, whatever your lovies reactions are towards new toys and such, irregardless of any sort irrational behavior, most all are considered to be quite normal. ................:)

Z28Taxman
11-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Can't help you there. Ditto is a wierdo. When i get a new toy he's all over it as soon as I get it out of the bag. It's not easy hanging a new toy in the cage with a lovie all over it. :rofl:

thebubbleking
11-23-2012, 04:51 PM
mine all have favorite toys if it gets removed another EXACTLY like it, same toy same color the works needs to be the replacement.
I have found what they like and tend to have more success with toys i make spacificly for their likes or something natural like palm fronds and coconut husks are always a hit.

ellenmellon
11-24-2012, 04:53 AM
Can't help you there. Ditto is a wierdo. When i get a new toy he's all over it as soon as I get it out of the bag. It's not easy hanging a new toy in the cage with a lovie all over it. :rofl:

Hahaha, I can imagine! :happy:
Thanks for all the advice and info everyone. My mind is now at ease. :D

TTFN,
Ellen xXx

Z28Taxman
11-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Hahaha, I can imagine! :happy:
Thanks for all the advice and info everyone. My mind is now at ease. :D

TTFN,
Ellen xXx

You think that's bad. try assembling a new cage with him trying to get in it and check it out. I had to put him back in his small one until it was done. :rotfl

Are your birds tame? Maybe you could let them play with the toys outside the cage before putting them in. Even better would be to play with the toy with them at first so the see it can be fun and won't eat them.

ellenmellon
11-25-2012, 02:13 PM
You think that's bad. try assembling a new cage with him trying to get in it and check it out. I had to put him back in his small one until it was done. :rotfl

Are your birds tame? Maybe you could let them play with the toys outside the cage before putting them in. Even better would be to play with the toy with them at first so the see it can be fun and won't eat them.

No, unfortunately our birds aren't tame yet, but I'm making good progress :blush:. However, I will bear that in mind just in case I can tame them enough to play outside of the cage :lol.
Ditto sounds like a real character! You seem very lucky to have him :D.