PDA

View Full Version : Ditto surprises me again!

Z28Taxman
12-05-2012, 06:31 PM
The grocery store didn't have any sugar snap peas again so instead of the usual replacement (green beans) I decided to change up a bit. I got him snow peas instead. He's never had those before and I figured he'd take one look at them with the larger pods and smaller peas, pitch a fit and toss them to the floor like he usually does when there are no sugar snaps in there.

But noooo... Mr. Picky Beak hopped right up there and ate them....:omg:

Just when you think you've got 'em figured out....

thebubbleking
12-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Just to suprise you! nexttime you buy them he wont eat them you know how they are XD

Mary in Florida
12-06-2012, 08:48 AM
The grocery store didn't have any sugar snap peas again so instead of the usual replacement (green beans) I decided to change up a bit. I got him snow peas instead. He's never had those before and I figured he'd take one look at them with the larger pods and smaller peas, pitch a fit and toss them to the floor like he usually does when there are no sugar snaps in there.

But noooo... Mr. Picky Beak hopped right up there and ate them....:omg:

Just when you think you've got 'em figured out....

I've bought snow peas for our birds- not really knowing there was a difference between those and sugar snap peas. Thing is, that Loki, our 6 month old lovie LOVE LOVE LOVES either one- looks like he doesn't know the difference either! He plays with them, shreds those things into almost a pulp, eats not only the outside but the peas inside too. He doesn't care if the pods are fat or skinny, he loves them all. Our parrotlet waits till the lovie's cracked open a pea pod or two, then runs over and steals a couple of the peas inside to play with and eat herself.

linda040899
12-06-2012, 09:21 AM
I've bought snow peas for our birds- not really knowing there was a difference between those and sugar snap peas. Thing is, that Loki, our 6 month old lovie LOVE LOVE LOVES either one- looks like he doesn't know the difference either! He plays with them, shreds those things into almost a pulp, eats not only the outside but the peas inside too. He doesn't care if the pods are fat or skinny, he loves them all. Our parrotlet waits till the lovie's cracked open a pea pod or two, then runs over and steals a couple of the peas inside to play with and eat herself.
Could be that Ditto thought that these were simply larger sugar snap peas so bigger was just fine with him! We'd best not let Ditto take lessons from Echo! Echo is a little eating machine that eats ANYTHING he can get his beak around that won't run away or try to eat him back!!! Way to go, Ditto!!

Mary,
Sounds like the parrotlet has the food situation figured out just perfectly. He lets Loki do the work and he reaps the benefits...... Quite a team you have there! :lol

Z28Taxman
12-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Could be that Ditto thought that these were simply larger sugar snap peas so bigger was just fine with him! We'd best not let Ditto take lessons from Echo! Echo is a little eating machine that eats ANYTHING he can get his beak around that won't run away or try to eat him back!!! Way to go, Ditto!!

The peas themselves are smaller but the pods are bigger. They almost look empty.

Ditto is an eating machine too as long as it's in my hand. Even stuff he won't touch in the bowl will be devoured if it's in my hand. Works quite well when I want him to eat something, take it to the couch, put it in my hand and... Chomp! it's gone! :lol

linda040899
12-06-2012, 10:25 AM
I don't have any lovebirds or larger parrots that will eat the outside pods. All the cost (they ain't cheap) for these peas and all that's eaten are those tiny morsels inside..... :( With all these 2 consume, I'm surprised that they are not the size of Hyacinth Macaws!!! I think they eat at least as much!

If Echo wants something to eat, he doesn't care where it is as long as he can hold it with his foot and eat it!!! :rotfl

Z28Taxman
12-06-2012, 11:13 AM
I don't have any lovebirds or larger parrots that will eat the outside pods. All the cost (they ain't cheap) for these peas and all that's eaten are those tiny morsels inside..... :( With all these 2 consume, I'm surprised that they are not the size of Hyacinth Macaws!!! I think they eat at least as much!

If Echo wants something to eat, he doesn't care where it is as long as he can hold it with his foot and eat it!!! :rotfl

Ditto sometimes eats the pods but usually just the peas inside, or enough of the pod to get to the peas.

I can't believe Ditto isn't macaw sized either. That one little lovie can go through a a bag of nutriberries and half to 3/4's of a pack of avi-cakes in a week, every week! :omg:

Mary in Florida
12-07-2012, 05:55 PM

I've had several others tell me that their birds like the little peas inside the peapods, but not the outsides- and I've seen the evidence with those peapod shells with little holes in them where the birds picked out the peas! Our Loki likes the peas, and he'll eat them, but he goes after the outside shell- almost pulverizes it, and I've seen him eat some of that too. It IS funny to watch him and our parrotlet- it's not just the peapods, it's also the dry veggies in the mixes- Loki loves chewing the hard corn kernels and dried peas and whatever those other little hard tan round things are- about the size of a pea- he'll work on them till they're broken into little pieces, with some powdered, and Pixie (p'let) will come along and pick up some of the small pieces or the powder, and chomp away. They don't seem to like these things cooked, but sure go after them raw. We don't let these two play without close supervision, but it sure seems as though Pixie goes after Loki just as much as he goes after her.

Z28Taxman
12-08-2012, 04:27 PM
I've had several others tell me that their birds like the little peas inside the peapods, but not the outsides- and I've seen the evidence with those peapod shells with little holes in them where the birds picked out the peas! Our Loki likes the peas, and he'll eat them, but he goes after the outside shell- almost pulverizes it, and I've seen him eat some of that too. It IS funny to watch him and our parrotlet- it's not just the peapods, it's also the dry veggies in the mixes- Loki loves chewing the hard corn kernels and dried peas and whatever those other little hard tan round things are- about the size of a pea- he'll work on them till they're broken into little pieces, with some powdered, and Pixie (p'let) will come along and pick up some of the small pieces or the powder, and chomp away. They don't seem to like these things cooked, but sure go after them raw. We don't let these two play without close supervision, but it sure seems as though Pixie goes after Loki just as much as he goes after her.

Ditto won't eat cooked veggies either. They get tossed and screamed at. But raw and they're gone. Unless they're baked into birdy bread then they're ok. In fact he eats the veggies first then the bread. :rotfl

The store had sugar snaps again yesterday and he was so happy he ate the pods too. I could hear him crunching on them from the couch across the room!:happy::happy:

Mary in Florida
12-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Ditto won't eat cooked veggies either. They get tossed and screamed at. But raw and they're gone. Unless they're baked into birdy bread then they're ok. In fact he eats the veggies first then the bread. :rotfl

The store had sugar snaps again yesterday and he was so happy he ate the pods too. I could hear him crunching on them from the couch across the room!:happy::happy:

Well, it's ok, they say raw veggies are more nutritious than cooked ones, anyway.

Glad you were able to get Ditto's favorites- sugar snaps. And I bet to see that you're not, as Linda said, having to pay all that money for the whole pods and the little dickens just pokes out the peas inside to eat! It's funny, Loki goes about that nuts for either sugar snaps or snow peas- attacks them and isn't done till the one he's working on is pulverized. Good stuff, there!