PDA

View Full Version : Coco's new behavior problem

mariesonia
12-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Coco has started regurgitating her food on her bed and on the side of the cage. Is this normal behavior for a lovebird? She'll be one soon and hasn't laid any eggs yet. My sweet little angel has become a little mischievous. Her behavior has changed a little bit but I guess that can be expected, she's not a baby anymore. What do I do about her regurgitating her food, it's quite disgusting as she eats it after, yuk!!!!

linda040899
12-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Are you sure that Coco is a female? I have males that do this but no hens.

Mary in Florida
12-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Are you sure that Coco is a female? I have males that do this but no hens.

Just wanted to mention that our Sweetpea had an almost lifetime habit of regurgitating-and was fairly prolific at it. And as she also laid a few eggs in her life we knew she was a female!

Our avian vets never could come up with any physical reason she did that, in fact, one vet told me he had had a parrot who did the same thing and they never knew why that was either.

And we never did figure out a way to discourage her from doing it, either. But I'm happy to hear that regurgitating is typically a male lovie trait. We are thinking from behavior ( ie, stripping paper and tucking it into his/her feathers) our new lovie Loki may well be a female.

mariesonia
12-24-2012, 10:25 AM
hmmm, well no I'm not 100% sure that she's a female no. So I guess this is a typical male behavior. She also starting doing the hanky panky with her bed. Everyday!

linda040899
12-24-2012, 10:58 AM
I've had one or two known hens do the self satisfaction thing but it's usually the males that do it....... Methinks Coco may be of the male gender but I would DNA sex to back that up. :)

mariesonia
12-24-2012, 03:02 PM
Thanks Linda :)

thebubbleking
12-26-2012, 03:05 PM
It sure sounds like the behaviour of young males i get!