PDA

View Full Version : 2 Female lovies issues

Jally
01-21-2013, 05:37 PM
I have 5 lovies, 2 boys (Peanut and Kiwi) and 3 girls (Peaches, Baby, and Oreo). I have 2 boy/girl pairs but 1 lone little girl. They are all in the same room, but different cages, obviously. My issue is that 2 of the girls (Peaches and Oreo) despise each other. They go out of their way to annoy each other. I know I'm not going to get it to stop, in fact 1 will get seriously hurt if she doesn't stay away from the other one. She (Peaches) already has a very sore foot and a cut on her beak because she won't stay away from the other one (Oreo).

My issue is - who to move. The obvious solution would be to move the lone little girl. However, she (Oreo) gets along with the other 2 lovies, (Peanut and Baby) including the other female (Baby) who is her daughter. The problem with that is that she is a holy terror to my stuff. My books, wood furniture, trim, paper, etc...

If I keep her contained in the room, the damage is minimal.

But...the problem with moving the girl/boy (Kiwi and Peaches) pair that the lone female (Oreo) despises, is that they share a double flight with the other pair (Peanut and Baby), where as the lone female has a smallish cage. Perfect for her, too small for a pair.

So, there's my problem. Can someone give me some advice, please?

mistywaterwoman
01-23-2013, 10:18 AM
I'm new to birds, but I just thought I would ask the obvious, can't you just cover Oreo's cage while Peaches is out of her cage?

I have almost the exact same situation going on with my chinchillas even though they are in female pairs. I have to totally block off access to Tami's cage while Amy is out, or they tear each other apart. You have my complete sympathy.

Mummieeva
01-23-2013, 11:30 AM
It sounds like Oreo needs to be the one moved. Since Kiwi and Peaches share a large cage I doubt buying yet another cage is in best interests. Do you think Oreo dislikes Peaches because she wants Kiwi for her own mate?

Jally
01-23-2013, 06:45 PM
The reason why I am not sure who to move is because of the cages. I do have a nice sized cage I can use for Peaches and Kiwi if I decide to move them. If they are the ones to be moved, they'll still have plenty of out time.

If I move Oreo, she won't have any out time. Likewise if I just cover her and keep her in the bird room.

That's part of the problem.

It is a possibility that the reason why Oreo dislikes Peaches so much is because Oreo wants Kiwi to herself. Oreo's mate passed away years ago and she does do the happy dance to Kiwi when he is near her. :whistle:

thebubbleking
01-23-2013, 07:46 PM
And there you go, they are competing for the same male.
No way to allow her outside time alone? (oreo) what about a male to join her if you have the room then she is not lonely and they are not fighting for the same male? hrmm keep us updated

Mummieeva
01-24-2013, 06:12 AM
What about allowing Oreo out of cage time in another room with just you are her? Or maybe move Peaches and Kiwi to the other cage in another room when Oreo is out?

Jally
01-24-2013, 08:11 AM
I don't have room for another male. Oreo is a very prolific lovie and she'd love nothing more than to have a mate. ;) Me tho... I don't think I can handle her having any more babies. :omg:

I will try to keep out time separate and see if things improve.

Thanks for the suggestions! They are much appreciated!

Mummieeva
01-24-2013, 01:34 PM
I wish you great luck.

Jally
01-24-2013, 02:39 PM
I wish you great luck.

Thank you! :)