PDA

View Full Version : Rearranged Furniture

Lashania
02-08-2013, 12:31 PM
So today I was looking at Athena's cage, and I thought to myself... huh. For most of the day she won't get very good daylight there.

So, I buckled down. I moved the dresser stand that her cage sits on. It swapped places with my giant keyboard (we both love music). Then I rolled up the blinds, opened the window (screen still in place, just in case Athena manages to open a cage door) and Voila!

Instant happiness! It was crazy! She ran down one of her long perches, got as close to that side of the cage as she could, and started just talking away. Interestingly enough, some of the wild birds outside landed on the roof and started talking back. It was cute.

She also seems a lot more at ease now. Perhaps it is all the work I've been putting in, but she isn't nearly as afraid of me as she used to be. She'll still move around her cage if I try to use my hand to get her, but 9/10 times she'll hop right onto a dowel that I insert and come right out. She also hopped onto my hand from my dresser top. She loves sitting on shoulders, and she was actually rubbing her face against my neck yesterday. IT was very sweet.

I've also been working on getting her used to fingers 'petting' her. Still no go on petting her head, but she'll (nervously) allow you to pet her back for a minute or two, provided the millet spray is somewhere nearby. (always reward her with millet bites after a minute or so of being pet)

linda040899
02-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Sounds like Athena is settling in very well!! Good job! The only caution I'm going to mention is not letting her get on the window sill with window open and with access to the screen. Lovebird beaks can chew holes in screening and you then have an instant exit to the great outdoors! I'm just mentioning it so that you are aware of a potential hazard. I think sun and fresh air are a great thing and it sounds like Athena likes that idea very much! :)

Lashania
02-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Oh she's never out without supervision, and I tie her doors shut. It's more so that if the kids walk in and let her out without me knowing, she won't be straight out the window. I'd probably hear if they did, because she's scared of them.

And let's the world know it.

thebubbleking
02-08-2013, 02:41 PM
sound awsome! two things to keep in mind strokeing a female lovebirds back makes them think you want to breed so best not to go past the top of the wings.
Also birds are the opposite of dogs and cats meaning they like when you stroke or scratch the oposite direction the feathers grow, its how you preen them :)

linda040899
02-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Oh she's never out without supervision
Thank you for the clarification. Many times I will mention something just to be on the safe side, as parrots can be unpredictable in what they do. I've got a male African Grey who is just too smart and he tends to get into the most unexpected things so I really have to watch him. I'm always asking where Sonny is if I don't see him!! All exits from my house lead to a screened in area so the great outdoors is not a huge concern but it's just amazing just what they are capable of!

Lashania
02-08-2013, 09:08 PM
Heh, the petting on her back is from the base of her neck to mid back. I actually managed to touch her head today, though i couldnt' 'pet' her there. Just touch. Twice. Then she'd had enough. LOL. She's getting better at step-ups, though she likes to side step 3 steps or so before getting up.

I got a clicker today, so hopefully that helps.