PDA

View Full Version : My little avi-cake fiend.

Z28Taxman
03-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Ditto has once again decided that avi-cakes are his favorite food. I've more than doubled the amount I put in his bowl this week to 10 squares and by the time I come home to refill his bowl they're all gone along with at least 6 nutriberries.

Once I get home he'll proceed to start throwing out the rest of the nutriberries until I refill the bowl. For at least the last 7 days he's thrown those tantrums until he gets more avi-cakes.

Today he was so impatient that while I was walking back to the cage from the kitchen he flew off my shoulder, back into the cage and stood on the boing right in front of where the food bowl would be when I put it in. Then BAM! Facedown in the food! :rotfl

You'd think I never feed him...

Cas
03-21-2013, 06:07 PM
please excuse my ignorance but what is Avi-cake?

Z28Taxman
03-21-2013, 06:44 PM
please excuse my ignorance but what is Avi-cake?

Avi-cakes are parrot food made by lafeber http://lafebercares.com/avi-cakes/

Ditto loves them!

starwynde
03-21-2013, 06:52 PM
Might have to give those a try. Gem seems to be very picky about what he eats (only certain colored pellets... never eats the reds, and the greens are the first color eaten... the yellow end up in the water dish... you get the idea). He like the nutriberries and millet, but won't touch these peanut sesame drops I got for him, aside of throwing them out of his coconut shell onto the bottom of his cage. This little bird is about as adamant about what he dislikes as Ditto is about what he likes lol!

Z28Taxman
03-21-2013, 06:59 PM
Might have to give those a try. Gem seems to be very picky about what he eats (only certain colored pellets... never eats the reds, and the greens are the first color eaten... the yellow end up in the water dish... you get the idea). He like the nutriberries and millet, but won't touch these peanut sesame drops I got for him, aside of throwing them out of his coconut shell onto the bottom of his cage. This little bird is about as adamant about what he dislikes as Ditto is about what he likes lol!

Ditto is the opposite with pellets. He'll eat orange, yellow and red but won't touch the greens unless it's too dark to tell what color they are. :rotfl

michael
03-21-2013, 07:10 PM
Ditto has once again decided that avi-cakes are his favorite food. I've more than doubled the amount I put in his bowl this week to 10 squares and by the time I come home to refill his bowl they're all gone along with at least 6 nutriberries..........

My gosh!.. He really is a bottomless pit! ..........:omg:

Z28Taxman
03-21-2013, 07:13 PM
My gosh!.. He really is a bottomless pit! ..........:omg:

I'm beginning to think so. Even though he left a lot of crumbs behind there weren't enough of them to make up what was missing.

I have seen him eat 4 entire parrot sized nutriberries in an hour while we watch tv and leave nothing but a little bit of dust behind.

I'm convinced that he's hollow and instead of organs and muscle he's just full of avi-cakes and nutriberries. :rofl:

linda040899
03-22-2013, 05:39 AM
You'd think I never feed him...
Sounds like Echo has a twin!!! He loves food but his all time favorite is pistachio peanuts! I get natural ones for him and he will eat anywhere from 6-8/day with no waste! Michael Jackson had nothing on Echo when it comes to moondancing to get my attention. I'm not sure who taught who!!! Ditto and Echo in the same household would produce astronomical food bills!

starwynde
03-22-2013, 07:32 AM
I'm convinced that he's hollow and instead of organs and muscle he's just full of avi-cakes and nutriberries. :rofl:

Okay, that confirms what I have often thought. I have never seen such a litle bird pack away so much food. Millet is inhaled, nutriberries disappear almost instantly, and the oat groats and popcorn he gets vanish. Yet, somehow, there is still room for dinner... go figure!

Z28Taxman
03-22-2013, 08:37 AM
Sounds like Echo has a twin!!! He loves food but his all time favorite is pistachio peanuts! I get natural ones for him and he will eat anywhere from 6-8/day with no waste! Michael Jackson had nothing on Echo when it comes to moondancing to get my attention. I'm not sure who taught who!!! Ditto and Echo in the same household would produce astronomical food bills!

He goes through about $20 per week in avi-cakes and nutriberries alone. Then there's the veggies! He costs almost as much to feed as me! :omg: I'm glad he's not a macaw!

Some days he leaves a lot of crumbs but he still eats way more than he wastes. The more I put in the bowl, the more crumbs he leaves behind.

Z28Taxman
03-22-2013, 12:29 PM
I swear the little guy reads these threads.

I came home early today (hey I'm the boss and I didn't feel like working all day), and see that he ate a bunch of nutriberries and there are still avi-cakes left. Then instead of tossing nutriberries to the floor like he's done for the last week or 2, he threw an avi-cake and dug up more berries! :rotfl

linda040899
03-22-2013, 01:00 PM
:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl
He just wants to keep you on your toes, Dave!

I share my home with 2 macaws and I can tell you that if they ate like Ditto eats, I'd be working 2 full time jobs to support them instead of just one!!!!!

Z28Taxman
03-22-2013, 02:19 PM
:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl
He just wants to keep you on your toes, Dave!

I share my home with 2 macaws and I can tell you that if they ate like Ditto eats, I'd be working 2 full time jobs to support them instead of just one!!!!!

It could be worse. They could all be like Ditto. Only problem then is you couldn't work because you'd be scratching birds 24/7! :lol

thebubbleking
03-22-2013, 04:04 PM
My fid bills are three times my own food bills!

Z28Taxman
03-22-2013, 04:33 PM
My fid bills are three times my own food bills!

Well if I had one or 2 more of him, my food bill would be the same way.

Today's tally was 6 avi-cakes and another 4 or 5 nutriberries and fewer crumbs than yesterday.

And judging by the amount of chewed up crumbs scattered all over the bottom of the cage, he hasn't been staying by the food bowl. Lately he's also been taking stuff to eat on his boing, stuff goes everywhere when he does that. I've been pelted with shrapnel when walking past the cage a time or two! :rofl: