PDA

View Full Version : my lovebird might be in problem

ananya
03-27-2013, 07:29 AM
hello friends,
one of my lutino lovebirds has his/her "V" shaped breast bone quite visible.the bird eats and poops normal.i have tried visually sex them. this birds back of the head joins the neck in an uneven curve. but its partner has a smooth curve. both of my lovebirds are very lazy,they sleep and stay inside the nest box all the time.the partner feeds this bird regularly.when anyone approaches their cage,they quickly get into their nest and stay in there.the vet was of no help. the bird stays puffed up all the time,and dozes. they are nearly two years old.i am very concerned for my bird.can anyone help?is my bird ill?:confused:
thank you.
ananya

michael
03-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Hi Ananya. Aside from the breast area and head curvature, just appearing puffed up and dozey alone is enough to indicate there likely IS an illness. .. In regards to the breast area being visible, are you certain this is not just a broad patch? Is it possible she's sitting on eggs? .. I'm also concerned about the head position as this may be indicative of a stroke. At what point did you notice the uneven head curve?

ananya
03-28-2013, 03:35 AM
hello michael,
i noticed the head about 4-5 days before today.as for the breast bone,it may be a broad patch,but i am not sure.as for eggs, they haven't laid any eggs. but i need some tips on visually sexing them.
i have other birds like gouldian finch and blue masked lovebirds, when they laid their first eggs, they used to be very drowsy and sleepy for a few days before laying their first eggs.both of the lutino lovebirds become super active when i change their water and food.at that time they become very playful and there is no sign of drowsiness.
how can i visually determine their sex?DNA sexing is not available where i live.
if there is an illness, from where shall i begin?as i said earlier,they consume normal amount of food,their droppings are not runny,(or anything abnormal).they are not chilled.what should i do?i am very puzzled!

michael
03-28-2013, 07:10 AM
Unless you find an egg, visually sexing lovebirds is for the most part guesswork. Even those with plenty of lovebird experience will tell you their methods are not 100% accurate. The best way to determine sex is through DNA testing. Avianbiotech offers affordable DNA testing just about anywhere in the world. Perhaps check out their website or give them a call. .. With regards to veterinary care. I understand certain parts of the world are lacking, or worse yet, have absolutely no vet care at all. Not much we can offer for advice except to place more emphasis on preventatives. .. For any parrot/s, especially those in breeding mode, proper nutrition should be the main focus for maintaining good health. .. Can you tell us what type of diet your birds get on a daily basis? Are you sure their getting enough calcium?