PDA

View Full Version : Is 10 too young?

cp.lovebird
03-28-2013, 02:27 PM
A coworker's son is interested in adopting one of the babies. They have never had birds before and he is only 10 years old. He loves birds and all animals and is an avid backyard birdfeeder. They were thinking of getting just one so I told them about the time commitment (15 to 20 years) plus spending at least an hour a day with the bird. He has already lost interest in his turtle and his Dad is afraid he'll end up loking after the bird too. I also gave them some handouts from the avian vet about housing, proper diet, wing trimming etc.. I am thinking it might be better for them to start with some finches! The boy is very enthusiastic though and is reading a book on lovebird care already. They are thinking about coming to meet the birds tomorrow. I am sure the boy will fall in love with them! Any advice?

michael
03-28-2013, 02:59 PM
While 10 is certainly not too young to care for a parrot, the fact that said young individual has already lost interest in his turtle, suggests to me he is in no way ready to care for a bird. Not even a finch. .. Hopefully, by the time he turns 18, things will have changed. .........:2cents: