PDA

View Full Version : A new kitten joins the family..

xMos
04-05-2013, 08:30 AM
Hello guys, it's been awhile.
My lovebird, Pipin, is doing really great, very well tamed, and used to human interaction.
I have just adopted a kitten, Nyxie (8weeks old), she is really shy and timid.

I would really love for them to play with each other safely, and am looking for advice from the experienced online community.

I have "introduced" them to one another, here's how it went.

Nyxie was resting in the corner of my bed, I brought Pipin onto the bed with me. Nyxie was cautiously looking in her resting position, overly playful Pipin was very curious and kept wanting to get closer to the point of almost touching Nyxie's nose. Nyxie later pawed Pipin, and Pipin flew away. This happened twice, then I got scared and took Pipin out of the room.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I would like to give details as accurately as possible, and the characteristics of the two so I can get better help from the forum.
Thank you all so much in advance ;)

Here's some pics if you'r interested :D

Pipin -
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm8/ran619ger/Pipin-3.jpg

baby Nyxie -
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm8/ran619ger/Nyxie.jpg

linda040899
04-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Number 1 rule regarding birds interacting with cats/dogs! Cats/dogs are predators. Birds are prey. Two older Cairn Terriers live with me and they are not allowed near my parrots under any circumstances. Both are older and docile but you never know when that natural instinct will kick in and then the consequences become very serious.

Cat and dog saliva contain Pasturella and that bacteria is fatal to birds if it gets into their systems. Best to keep Pipin and Nyxie (cute name) very much away from each other. It's just not worth the risk!

RicosPoppy
04-05-2013, 01:08 PM
I have to agree with Linda. Cats in particular can be very unpredictable and you never know when their "prey drive" will kick in. The safety of my birds is the #1 priority, and this means no predators (cats, dogs) in the house of any kind, no matter how nice and doclie they may seem. :2cents:

xMos
04-06-2013, 12:06 AM
Thank you so much for your replies. Yes I definitely agree that cats are very unpredictable. maybe it wasn't a good idea after all.. damm I've seen people make this work. But yea, I wouldnt risk it :cry:

starwynde
04-07-2013, 03:34 AM
We have a pair of cats as well as a pair of dogs in addition to a lovebird. The dogs are afraid of Gem (eyes roll into back of head, turn tail and run away...), and I have no worries about them. The cats, well, I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them (not that I throw my cats, but you get the idea). Every time they see Gem, it's like they are looking at dinner, so our upstairs is a cat free zone where Gem can hang around and do what he wants. I will come downstairs with Gem on my shoulder, but always keep my handy dandy water gun at hand just in case the cats get to close on my way to take the dogs outside (Gem doesn't fly... has his flight feathers, no wing issues... just chooses not to fly). But I wouldn't let the cats near him...even with no claws out, one good whomp with the paw it all it would take to down a lovie.