PDA

View Full Version : I need Help. Please. URGERNT!

Fawnpeoduction
05-30-2013, 09:50 PM
I am 19. And I recently Rescued a LoveBird. I love helping animals so when I saw her I new I wanted to try and help her. Its been 2 months now and my dad is getting Fed up with her. She has bitten me NON-stop and trys to attack anyone who goes near her cage. We also have another lovebird who was adopted from a breeder. He was hand Fed and he does great with hands. He is currently in the cage with her. When I try to go and play with him she will attack. So now I cant play with him. My dad is Fed up and wants to sell her and I wont have it. I have been having little success though, Today I was Feeding her outside her cage, I even Video taped it for my youtube.

I am thinkinig about moving them into different cages but i'm not sure... I've tried so much I don't know what to do anymore D: she even bit me today and it went threw the skin and I was bleeding. Someone please help, I need Advice.

OH! I also forgot to mention that the unTamed Bird she also Plucks her feathers. I don't know if that is important or not but I thought i would add it in.

linda040899
05-30-2013, 10:46 PM
Hi and welcome to Lovebirds Plus Community! We're happy to have you with us!!

Kudos to you for trying to make life better for this little lovie! I watched your video and she's a doll. She's a Dark Green Peachfaced and seems pretty confident, at least in the video you shared. She's not afraid of your hand as long as it has something she likes.....millet. Yes, bribery will get you everywhere, at least in the beginning to trust department. :)

Many lovebirds, hens in particular, as territorial and aggressive when they are in their cages. Remember, the cage is HER home and your hand is an intruder into her domain. Think about how you would feel if someone/something strange just entered the place where you live. You will probably find her very different outside of and away from her cage. You can let her come out on her own or you can try perch training her. Let the perch take the punishment instead of your hand/fingers.

If she's truly a rescue from a bad situation, it's going to take her some time to unpack all the "baggage" she brought along with her. Parrots learn by experience and two months is a very short period of time for her to determine that her new situation is actually different from her last one and that she's truly safe. Patience, patience, patience! And when you think you've run out of patience, mix in a bit of TLC for good measure. :) She's got spunk and I can see her capturing your heart very securely. She's well on her way to doing that right now.

You may find that she will always be a bit fiesty so it's a matter of learning how to handle/deal with her. Each parrot is different so you simply have to get to know your own. Your other lovebird, by the way, is a Lutino Peachfaced. Both are very pretty. Keep working with her but just being around her and giving her the opportunity to get to know you so she can begin to feel safe. There's no time estimate with this but it will happen. I have Double Yellow Headed Amazon that came to me from an abusive situation. It's taken him 6 years to begin to trust again!

Pips mom
05-31-2013, 07:58 AM
If the two really do well together, then I wouldn't move them to different cages just because of how they are with you. It's always a good thing when a bird has another feathered friend! and she'll still be the same with him or without him. I realize that it's taking away from your time spent with your tame lovie, but he's still happy, and that's what really counts! Try to put yourself in their spots.....understand and want what's best for THEM! Once your lovies are comfortable and know what to expect, they'll return your kindness and understanding and be your best buddies! Even the new female. It just takes time. They also can sense when you're unhappy, nervous, or trying too hard to get them to be how you want......it's better to just relax, take time, be happy for whatever small progress you get. Accepting that the new bird will take time and giving her that time is the key!
They are adorable! Tell you dad that these two lovies are happy together, and that having a bird buddy is GOOD for your other lovie! They could be a bonded pair already and it's cruel to separate them if they really like each other and have spent time together! Of course, if they're male and female, you should be prepared for egg laying and how you would handle that situation.

Fawnpeoduction
05-31-2013, 05:59 PM
hmm Okay! I put some home made toys in there today and the female took to them really quickly! She didnt even bite me when i went to put the toys in. So I was really happy. Thank you guys so much! I will keep you guys updated :)

Pips mom
05-31-2013, 09:33 PM
hmm Okay! I put some home made toys in there today and the female took to them really quickly! She didnt even bite me when i went to put the toys in. So I was really happy. Thank you guys so much! I will keep you guys updated :)

Awww, she likes your home made toys! It just takes time.......she's gonna learn who gives her food, toys and love! She'll calm down......but remember....she may still go through hormonal times in the future where she'll be mean and want nothing to do with you! Just try to respect her space during those times and try to remember that it's not her fault. It's how mother nature made her, so her kind will always be around! :) Glad to see that she was interested enough in the toy to not think about biting!