PDA

View Full Version : Tragedy Averted

dmj64
06-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Hello, everyone. I'm Dennis; I've been away from the board for awhile, but I still have my luvies.

I was relocating from Hawaii to the mainland and we were in the Honolulu airport terminal. Like an idiot, I opened the cage door for some reason. Sweety got out. She flew around the terminal and perched high on the wall. There was no way to get to her and I had to board my flight soon. Very little hope.

Then, suddenly, she flew down and perched on a guy's shoulder and I was able to grab her. Nothing short of a miracle.

starwynde
06-02-2013, 04:56 PM
So happy she came down. I hate to think what would happen if she hadn't!

On a side note, my husband and I are leaving Hawaii soon. Did you have any trouble taking Sweetie with you?

dmj64
06-03-2013, 01:42 PM
Leaving Hawaii with a bird is no problem. You'll need a health certificate or document from the vet, and a hard carrier that will fit under the seat. Hawaiian Airlines was the only airline that I could find that would carry a bird.

Note: Many airlines will not carry birds at all from HI. Hawaiian was the only one I could find that would ship my bird.

The good thing is that it is A LOT easier to get a bird OUT of Hawaii then it is to get it IN.

I highly recommend that you make sure that your airline will carry a bird. Hawaiian was the only one I could find.

I lived in Kailua, near the beach. Where are you? I love it so much that I want to go back.

starwynde
06-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Honolulu, Red Hill area. Loved the beach in Kailua until the starting dropping off buses full of tourists. So crowded we had to find another beach to relax on lol.

My husband is a soldier and it's nearly PCS time so I have to start getting my ducks in a row when it comes to transporting the animals. I didn't realize that so few airlines allowed you to transport birds, though. It's worrisome because we don't get to pick our airline when we fly on orders, and we are almost 100% sure we'll have to have our neighbor send the dogs once we get back to the mainland unless one of us goes first and secures housing. I would hate to have Gem, my lovebird travel alone, and rehoming him is not an option. Gonna have to do some digging. Thanks for the info :D

thebubbleking
06-03-2013, 09:24 PM
on a side note your hens son is doing very well Aurora is big, strong, flys like an ace and humps anything soft in sight!
Glad you got his mom back :)