PDA

View Full Version : How reliable is pelvic bone test for sexing lovebirds?

KathyB
06-19-2013, 04:11 PM
Our first lovebird came to us before the avian DNA sexing blood test was invented. The very experienced breeder said he was almost certainly a male based on his pelvic bone structure, and she was right. We had almost 20 wonderful years with him, and now we want to adopt another male. Several breeders have told me that they do not do the blood test for DNA sexing and do not consider it reliable, still relying on the pelvic bone test.
So my question is: how reliable is the pelvic bone test by an experienced breeder? Do I need to insist on the DNA blood test or not? I really want another male like the lovebird "love of our lives".

linda040899
06-19-2013, 05:39 PM
Pelvic sexing is a mere guess. Your chances of being right is 50 percent. DNA is reliable as long as blood samples are not contaminated. I think feather sexing is better. If you request/pay for the sexing, the breeders involved should be willing to do it. There are some lovebird pairings that produce genetically sexable babies, no DNA required. What mutations are you looking at?

Pips mom
06-20-2013, 10:23 AM
So sorry for the loss of your lovie boy! I know how you feel........I have one of those same kind of boy lovies that makes you say......Ohhh, I just gotta have another one of those lil boys! When I see your story, I see me in the future.......although that's still 13 years away if Pip lives til the same ripe old age!
DNA testing is the only sure way of knowing. I, personally, never cared enough about Pip's sex to want to pull feathers or make him bleed! I do feel as if I know his sex now though, from his behavior over the years. If I got another lovie, I'd want to know it's a boy too........although, I did get Rudy on the suspicion that he was a boy and he did turn out to be a boy too, as I had some issues with him always regurgitating on his soft toys and had to keep all soft toys out of the cage!
You can have DNA testing done now pretty easily and cheap, so it may be worth it for you to have your next lovie DNA tested. http://www.avianbiotech.com/
Congrats on your new lovie boy to be!