PDA

View Full Version : Taming an adult lovie

Frosty
08-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Hey all! First I would like to say I'm glad I've found this forum, as I'm looking to get my first lovebird, I will post a proper introduction later on.

For the last month or so, I've been reading about lovebirds and looking on local websites to find one for not too much money. I found an ad of a 3 year old lovebird, that is supposedly half tame. The owners have a newborn baby so they're too busy with their child, so they want to sell it to an owner who does have enough time and space.

So my question is, how big are my chances to successfully tame a 3 year old lovebird? The ad says she/he's half tame, I have no idea what to think of that though. Either way I'm very tolerant and patient and would love to have a lovebird to properly take care of and love, but I'm not very sure if trying to tame a 3 year old lovie would be possible.

What do you guys think? Should I try?

Frosty
08-09-2013, 08:45 AM
I'm still very unsure about this. Could anyone experienced give me their opinion on this?

Thanks.

linda040899
08-09-2013, 09:28 AM
All live creatures will respond to love and kindness! I have no doubts that it's possible to earn the trust of an untame 3 yr old lovebird. It comes down to a matter of spending time with her and letting her get to know you so she realizes that you don't intend to eat her for breakfast! You have to remember that there are predators and small birds tend to be prey in the wild so I'm very serious in my comment. You have to quite literally become a member of her flock. :)

Frosty
08-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Thanks a lot for your comment, Linda.

If I do get the lovie, is it okay to give some "human" food? I eat a lot of veggies and fruits, but I'm unsure if a lovie can have all fruits and vegetables. Is there a guide or something? Excuse my ignorance, I haven't found anything about this subject yet.

linda040899
08-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Most fruits and veggies are safe for birds. Notable exceptions are avocado, chard, parsley and spinach. The first 2 are toxic but the last 2 are high in oxalic acid which binds usable calcium that birds ingest. You can feed them, but do it very sparingly. If you offer fresh corn, unless it's fresh picked, please steam it before you give it to them to eat. There can be mold spores inside the corn shucks and you want those dead before your lovie eats the corn.

Frosty
08-16-2013, 03:21 AM
That's some great advice, thanks again Linda!

Hopefully I'll be able to report back soon with a new friend! :D