PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to get my hopes up...

starwynde
08-07-2013, 03:03 AM
Blood work confirmed Gem was carrying the virus associated with PBFD, and feather loss on he head, chest, and back only made it more apparent. Shortly after the blood work results were back, Gem plucked out ALL his remaining feathers except those where he couldn't reach on his head and a few wing and tail feathers. Honestly, he is the most ragged bird I have ever seen, given Dumbledore's Fawkes the Phoenix in his dying moments a run for his money. He is, however, in good health and the same character he ever was, so I am not worried.

Anyway, back to the reason I'm making this post. PBFD affects feather regrowth, so my question, if anyone can answer, is if I can expect the feathers Gem pulled out to regrow even though he has some areas of his body that were lost due to PBFD. I was giving him some scritches this evening before tucking him in his cage for the night and noticed this:

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p677/starwynde/469_zps24c08516.jpg

Would someone please be kind enough to tell me I am not seeing things and that there are actually feathers growing! Please?!

I posted three new photos taken today, and the others go back a few months, before Gem decided to try the plucked turkey look.

Mary in Florida
08-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Blood work confirmed Gem was carrying the virus associated with PBFD, and feather loss on he head, chest, and back only made it more apparent. Shortly after the blood work results were back, Gem plucked out ALL his remaining feathers except those where he couldn't reach on his head and a few wing and tail feathers. Honestly, he is the most ragged bird I have ever seen, given Dumbledore's Fawkes the Phoenix in his dying moments a run for his money. He is, however, in good health and the same character he ever was, so I am not worried.

Anyway, back to the reason I'm making this post. PBFD affects feather regrowth, so my question, if anyone can answer, is if I can expect the feathers Gem pulled out to regrow even though he has some areas of his body that were lost due to PBFD. I was giving him some scritches this evening before tucking him in his cage for the night and noticed this:

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p677/starwynde/469_zps24c08516.jpg

Would someone please be kind enough to tell me I am not seeing things and that there are actually feathers growing! Please?!

I posted three new photos taken today, and the others go back a few months, before Gem decided to try the plucked turkey look.

Starwynd, sure looks like it to me! Is there any new growth in the areas where he lost feathers from the PBFD?

And it's entirely possible that Gem will grow not only his plucked feathers but the feathers that fell out. If he grows those back, especially if he seems otherwise well, eating, playing and so on, that *maybe* he'll be able to shake the PBFD as our Sweetpea did! Those feathers are just growing in, look normal so far, you'll be able to tell better when they grow in some more. I'm guessing that if they were affected with PBFD you wouldn't seen normal growth there.

Sweetpea was our peachface female lovie that died last summer at nearly age 17. She had been diagnosed with PBFD at about 6 months of age.

That's exactly what Sweetpea did about six months after her diagnosis of PBFD- while she was still losing feathers ( she didn't pluck, but that poor baby looked about as bedraggled as Gem does), we noticed she began growing new feathers in the areas of earliest loss, and most of those feathers looked normal. As time went on, more and more feathers came in, most normal but a few were also misshapen, broken, twisted or dis-colored, which is typical of PBFD feathers. She continued with some feather loss for maybe the next year or so- hard to tell if these were molts or due to the PBFD, but gradually the new growth became dominant, and she looked better. I'd have to say though, that she looked bedraggled for close to 1.5 years after her diagnosis, and it took close to two years before she looked like the beautiful,brilliantly colored bird that she became after she shook off the PBFD.

Sweetpea was tested for PBFD several times from the time of her diagnosis, at two years out even though she looked normal, she was still positive for PBFD. Her test three years after her diagnosis was negative, and it was at that time we were assured by her avian vet that she really had shaken off the PBFD. She was tested again at age 6, by a skeptical avian vet ( a new partner of the previous vet who didn't know Sweetpea's history) during a weekend our birds were boarded with them), and continued to be PBFD negative.

IMO things are looking up for your Gem, but if he follows Sweetpea's path in shaking off the PBFD it likely will take some time, and you can get discouraged, especially if you see some continued feather loss ( although I guess the plucking might contribute to that), and some abnormal looking feathers. As for the plucking, I wondered if Gem might be doing that because those feathers bother him- possibly some irritation in the shaft, or the abnormal feathers which can include twisted shafts, or feathers that don't grow out all the way? Just a thought, which if it's true, might mean he won't be as likely to pluck as he gets better?

You and Gem will be in my thoughts and prayers as you continue to fight this awful disease!

linda040899
08-07-2013, 03:22 PM
I have to agree with Mary. Those sure do look like new feathers and they don't appear to be abnormal right now. Birds with good immune systems can survive PBFD, even though most will not. I've been thinking a lot about Gem and praying this would happen. All you can do is continue to be positive and wait. Waiting is always the hardest thing for me to do! I want patience and I want it yesterday!!

starwynde
08-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Thank you! While his cheeks are still bare (those were the first feathers to go) the area on his back where the feathers are coming had a bare spot I initially attributed to PBFD. I'm not exactly sure if where the feathers coming in on his back is the same spot as that initial feather loss, but I'm watching closely now to see what happens on his face.

I did notice a few small feathers in the bottom of his cage this morning. It appears his head feathers are getting a little patchier, and I think Gem is about due for a molt. I know he hatched in August, but I have no clue if hatch date has anything to do with molt cycle. I will still keep an eye on him anyway and watch for anything "abnormal."

Thank you Mary and Linda for the information. It's comforting to know there is a decent chance Gem will recover from this and support is out there! :D

Pips mom
08-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Best wishes to you and Gem with this! It must be so hard to see him with all the feather loss :very_sad: Hope those new feathers all grow in nice, and that he keeps them this time!

starwynde
08-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Best wishes to you and Gem with this! It must be so hard to see him with all the feather loss :very_sad: Hope those new feathers all grow in nice, and that he keeps them this time!

It was tough at first and I felt really bad for him, seeing him naked, but his personality more than makes up for a few grams of feathers. He really doesn't seem to mind his situation, though and loves the extra attention and treats he gets from people. He also likes his baths and scritches more than ever, which might have something to do with the exposed skin.

I'm currently running under the assumption he plucked his remaining feathers as a preventative measure so he looked more even, like how a patient undergoing chemotherapy shaves their head before their hair gets too patchy... I wouldn't put it past him... :rotfl

Mary in Florida
08-07-2013, 08:53 PM
It was tough at first and I felt really bad for him, seeing him naked, but his personality more than makes up for a few grams of feathers. He really doesn't seem to mind his situation, though and loves the extra attention and treats he gets from people. He also likes his baths and scritches more than ever, which might have something to do with the exposed skin.

I'm currently running under the assumption he plucked his remaining feathers as a preventative measure so he looked more even, like how a patient undergoing chemotherapy shaves their head before their hair gets too patchy... I wouldn't put it past him... :rotfl

Lol, he doesn't know he looks so scraggly, and probably doesn' t know he is sick either! IMO that attitude can only help him.

starwynde
08-08-2013, 01:14 AM
Update!

We have feathers coming on his legs and the edges of his breast. These were areas that he plucked, so I'm happy those feathers are coming back. Now, if only something would happen on his cheeks...:pray:

JohnUK
08-09-2013, 03:37 PM
starwynde: I hope Gem pulls through ok and in time is again covered with beautiful plumage. I know from experience with little Amor how saddening it feels when we see our feathered ones with a serious illness.

starwynde
08-09-2013, 05:41 PM
Thanks John. I've gotten over the sadness at this point, and have gone back to treating him as though there is nothing wrong with him. Like Mary mentioned, he doesn't seem to know he's sick, so no sense dwelling on it and treating him like he is. He gets regular vet checks to make sure there are no infections, and gets spoiled to death with both treats and attention.

The feather regrowth has been a question in my mind for some time, and only time will tell what the final outcome will be.

starwynde
08-15-2013, 04:42 AM
Well, there are more and more little feather stubs coming in, but Gem seems to like pulling them before they really get going. He's got no redness on his skin and no tenderness when I touch him, so I'm curious as to why he insists on pulling the spikes out.

On a side note... A friend of ours is moving back to the mainland and has offered me their lovebird. He's 5 years old, and while Gem is still testing positive for the presence of PBFD, what are the chances of this older lovebird developing PBFD if I were to take him in?

linda040899
08-15-2013, 05:01 AM
Mary would be the best person to answer your question but from what I know, any parrot, any age can become ill from PBFD. How long has Gem been testing positive? I know at a certain point, the test will be positive for the bird having had it but it's no longer contagious. I have several that fall in that category. I also know that young birds are the most likely to catch it rather than older ones.

starwynde
08-15-2013, 02:49 PM
Gem first tested positive for "the virus associated with PBFD" back in April. Recent blood work results were still the same (I use Avian Biomed for the testing).

I would hate to take on another bird at this point and have it get infected and maybe not do as well as Gem has. It might be better to let this new bird go to someone else at this time.