PDA

View Full Version : Bird that won't stop biting

skytheunlovinglovebird
08-08-2013, 10:40 AM
We have a lovebird named Sky. We have had him/her for several years. However, he always tries to bite us. Even walking by the cage sometimes, Sky will open his mouth like he wants to bite us. We have never mistreated him, so we don't know why he is like this. He even bit my mom while she was feeding him, and he drew blood. we can't let him fly around the room like we did another bird of ours, because you wouldn't be able to get him back in his cage. He would just keep trying to bite us. I'm not sure what to do to make him like this, or realize we're not trying to hurt him. we had another love bird for a few years, and she never try to bite us. we even tried to introduce him slowly to another love bird. But when we finally put them in the same cage, he just chased the other bird around the cage and tried to get at it. What can we do?

linda040899
08-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Hi and welcome to Lovebirds Plus Community! We are happy to have you with us! :)

Each lovebird is different and there are marked differences between males and females. Females are generally more cage territorial, but I can't say that I've not seen males with the same personality trait. Yours sounds like perhaps a hen and she's just protecting her own home. This is very typical with hens.

Had you considered clipping his/her flight feathers so you can limit where he/she can or can't go? That will also make her dependent on you to get to where she wants to go if you let her out of her cage. You might even find the result is an attitude adjustment. If you are interested in doing this, I would start with 5 - 6 primary flights on each wing and see how well she can fly after you are done.

skytheunlovinglovebird
08-08-2013, 02:36 PM
I think the wings are already clipped. I just can't let him/her out because he would bite us if we try to put it back. What can I do about the biting?