PDA

View Full Version : Feather Pluckers Anonymous

starwynde
08-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Well, it seems while Gem is capable of growing feathers, he has no desire to have them. I've watched feathers poke through the sheaths on his back and belly for the past week and have been really excited to see plumage return, only to take his cover off in the mornings and find he's pulled/chewed them off before they even completely develop. It's almost as if the little turkey likes being naked. :omg:

I've tried misting him to make the sheaths softer, thinking it might be "accidental over grooming" but that hasn't made a difference. He gets his usual seed mix with Nutriberries and Avicakes, copious amounts of millet, fresh veggies and a weekly treat of hard boiled egg. He's still maintaining weight, eating well, and stools are normal.

I'm okay with him being a little "nudey" but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the habitual feather plucking and if there is something I can do to help Gem.

michael
08-18-2013, 07:59 PM
Feather destructive behavior can be one of the most difficult and challenging diseases to correctly diagnose and treat. As was the case with my male lovebirds, both had came to me with previous plucking issues, one eventually diagnosed with giardia, the other deemed hormonal with feather destructive manifestations. Although both had gone through an extensive workup approach, neither one had ever completely overcame the desire to maintain a bald spot. .. I understand this may not sound promising, however, given Gems PBFD diagnosis, we now have a reason of why she most likely plucks. And the fact is, no matter what the disease, some do, over time, show a complete recovery. .. None the less, at this point, its difficult to recommend what might help keep Gem from plucking, as even when the diagnosis is known, no one method consistently works.

A few suggestions; Shreddable foods. Have you offered carrot sticks, green beans, snow pea's, corn "on the cob", rice cakes, zucchini sticks, apples? .. Shreddable toys such as rope, staws, cardboard, pine cones, paper towels (twisted and knotted), or any forager type toys? .. How about her cage. Have you tried moving it to another location? .. I would also take into consideration of whether or not she prefers her cage covered at night.

If anyone else has suggestions, as I know us pluckers are not alone, please share. ........:)

starwynde
08-22-2013, 03:33 AM
Thanks Michael. My mom came to visit from the mainland so I haven't been online all that much to respond.

Gem gets a lot of fresh veggies to chew on, carrots and broccoli being the favorites, but spaghetti squash is up there too. He does have shred-able toys, but doesn't show any interest in them aside from fighting with the bells attached to them. I've put cardboard, newspaper, and tubes from the middle of the toilet paper rolls in his cage as toys and still no interest. I will note he "preens" the frayed rope on the top of his rope ring from time to time, but as far as chewing goes, nada.

I did get Gem a new cage a few months back, so he has his flight cage upstairs where he sleeps covered up (same procedure since he was 4 weeks old minus the midnight feedings) as well as his downstairs play cage. I also move his upstairs cage to the other side of the room, but as he's only up there at night, I'm not sure that was an issue. The downstairs cage gets a little bit of direct sunlight over one corner for maybe a couple of hours a day, and the rest is indirect. Lots of toys and food/foraging options in both cages.

I'm okay with Gem being a nudey bird as he isn't picking himself until he bleeds, I just wish I could figure out what is going on in that little brain of his to cause him to do so.

michael
08-22-2013, 05:43 AM
..........I'm okay with Gem being a nudey bird as he isn't picking himself until he bleeds, I just wish I could figure out what is going on in that little brain of his to cause him to do so.

As we know, the feather damage could be a symptom of the PBFD in that the disease does effect the feather follicles. Any new feathers coming in are subject to the virus which in turn causes them to easily be damaged. .. Important, is that you continue to provide Gem supportive care that carries with it a most generous and positive attitude. Which obviously you are. .. Best wishes for Gem. And please, do keep us posted. ...........:)