PDA

View Full Version : egg laying help

jimpierce
10-21-2013, 06:38 PM
hello everybody. I need a little help with Polly who has decided to start laying eggs. I do not have a nest box in her cage so she seems to just lay the eggs from her perch and they just drop to the floor and break fall on the poop pan. should I make a nest box for her and Andale? I will have to get fake eggs as we don't want babies. If I sepperate Polly and Andale again in their own cages, might she stop?

jimpierce
10-21-2013, 07:13 PM
I just wanted to add, now that I am on my PC and not my phone.........
Polly has laid two eggs. Last couple of nights she has not. They were laid one a night and from a perch. I'm hoping she has stopped. But I know how that goes.........

Sophie, my Eclectus, is about to lay again. Bless her heart.

linda040899
10-22-2013, 04:54 AM
A typical clutch of lovebird eggs can be anywhere from 4-8. I've had some only lay 2 or 3 but it depends on the individual lovebird. If you happen to get an egg that doesn't break, you can hard boil if for 2 minutes within 2 hrs of being laid and that will prevent any growth within the egg. If the eggs are fertile, nothing happens until they are incubated for several days. All you would be doing is prevention, not destroying anything.

To keep them busy and off being family minded, perhaps letting them forage for food would take up some of their free time. :)

jimpierce
10-25-2013, 10:05 PM
crazy girl stopped after dropping two from her perch. She is very intrigued by Sophie's (eclectus) egg though.