PDA

View Full Version : 4 week old baby wants to come out of the box

Daiqattack10
10-23-2013, 02:04 PM
The oldest baby, 4 weeks and 1 day old, keeps pulling herself out of the nest box. Is this too young? I'm scared she's going to come out while i'm not home and then get cold because of how cold it is right now.

Daiqattack10
10-23-2013, 02:16 PM
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1379678_639250152762026_1958439202_n.jpg

Can you believe that? only a month old!

linda040899
10-23-2013, 02:21 PM
Every once in a while, you get an adventurous youngster who is curious beyond its age! I've had this happen a couple of times. :) I've been fortunate that it doesn't get too cold or stay too cold here in FL for extended periods of time.

You've got a couple of options and all the lovies in the cage can benefit if you don't feel comfortable with temperatures falling below a certain level. I'm comfortable right around 80F and I tend to keep everything at that temp year round. A radiant oil filled heater is a good option to keep the area warmer. I've used them for years and I've never had a problem with them unless they just flat out stopped functioning! Avi-Tech sells heat panels which are also nice (true, a bit pricey) and they can be placed so the cage area is kept warmer.

Anyone else have any thoughts here?

Daiqattack10
10-23-2013, 06:00 PM
Well, it happened. I went outside for half an hour and came back in to find lovebird baby playing with a toilet paper roll on the bottom of the cage with momma bird helping her destroy it (its momma's favorite "toy").

I have one of those heaters, only thing is the person I live with won't let me keep it on for the birds :( I've been finding excuses just to stay in my room to keep it on. The house has heat but its an old brick house, it's in the 60's inside. Way too cold for me, and way too cold for them! I actually have company visiting from florida and I refuse to go out at night with them because I need to keep my birdies warm. ugh! I feel so bad for the bird THEY own, I don't know how that poor thing is still alive.

michael
10-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Whatever reasons the person you live with won't allow the use of oil filled heat, be it comfort levels for them, or excessive energy consumption, as long as the average indoor temps remain around 60F, a heat panel as Linda suggested, or even a heated perch should suffice. For instance, neither one or the other will heat the area anymore than it is now, while at the same time, conserve electricity and still give your birds access to heat. ........:cold

linda040899
10-23-2013, 09:16 PM
Best thing about the Avi-Tech heat panel is that emits even heat but no light. If you opt for a heated perch, make sure it's safe for birds. Some get too hot and can burn feet.