PDA

View Full Version : Beak trimming

Daiqattack10
11-05-2013, 07:59 AM
I was just wondering, does anyone here get their bird's beaks trimmed? I know birds are supposed to have things that allow them to wear down their nails and beaks themselves.

I'm a vet assistant and my doctors have dremelled beaks before to smooth out the point, i've been considering it for my aggressive female.

Any input would be appreciated.

linda040899
11-05-2013, 08:45 AM
No. Don't trim beaks unless it's medically necessary.

Funny thing about the beak of a parrot. Once you begin trimming, it will have to be done for life. Allowing them to wear the beak down naturally is much less traumatic, as a lot of vets use dremels and that can be a terrifying experience for a bird. I have one lovebird whose life depends on a trim and I have to be extremely careful when I do it. If he's not eaten, he can go into shock and die from the trauma. :)

Elle
11-16-2013, 05:37 PM
I've installed a sandy perch near the food dish of my birds and they use it after eating to clean their beaks. Since doing it, my 25 year old grey has not required another beak trim.

finchalex
02-23-2021, 08:37 AM
Most parrots, cockatiels, and other birds keep their own beaks trim through chewing and playing. However, some beaks can overgrow due to illness, malnutrition, or lack of proper toys. Never trim your bird's beak by yourself, as this can cause your bird great pain.