PDA

View Full Version : Eggs and unweaned babies

Daiqattack10
11-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Well...momma bird is living up to her reputation. She's got another egg in the box now, and her babies are 6 1/2 weeks old. They're still acting very dependent on her and daddy.
I have some questions:

1.) why is she laying eggs still!? She's got babies, her daylight hours are short. She gets her cage and toys moved all the time, and it's frequently in the 60's in my room due to the cold now. Shouldn't that put her cycle on hold?

2.) I have to go on a trip for a week and the birds are going to a friends house. I've been co-parenting but since the babies learned to fly they are a bit more skittish and flighty. Is that week with no human contact going to really mess them up?

3.) How long should I wait before their first wing clip? They've been coming out and having some crazy flight sessions in my room lol. They're amazing at landing and maneuvering!

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1391960_647046828649025_1364962253_n.jpg

Happy babies!

linda040899
11-10-2013, 03:13 AM
I have some questions:

1.) why is she laying eggs still!? She's got babies, her daylight hours are short. She gets her cage and toys moved all the time, and it's frequently in the 60's in my room due to the cold now. Shouldn't that put her cycle on hold?
This is very typical with lovie hens. That second clutch is almost impossible to stop, even if you take away the box. Many times, I've had to hard boil the next clutch (each egg right after it's laid) and the take away everything about 25 days after the last egg was laid.

2.) I have to go on a trip for a week and the birds are going to a friends house. I've been co-parenting but since the babies learned to fly they are a bit more skittish and flighty. Is that week with no human contact going to really mess them up?
They will be a bit more flighty but extra attention should take care of that.

3.) How long should I wait before their first wing clip? They've been coming out and having some crazy flight sessions in my room lol. They're amazing at landing and maneuvering!
If they are flying very well, it's ok to clip their flight feathers. Start with 4 on each side and clip more so they can fly in a limited manner. That will also help with the skiddishness. :)

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1391960_647046828649025_1364962253_n.jpg

Happy babies!