PDA

View Full Version : I was wondering what type of this lovebird mutation is

ycho29
11-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Hi I'm thinking of getting this lovebird for the breeding purpose. I have a pet lovie but I fell in love so that I decided to get a breeding pair to raise chicks with my hand. However it is impossible to get a breeding pair in my area for there are lacking number of breeders in my area. So I found this person who is rehoming her female love that is laying eggs (so it is female) and sits on top of them. She said she think it is pied mutation but not sure of other mutations that might be in her because she herself got her from her sister. I was wondering what mutation this bird is.

http://www.birdsnow.com/birds/data/photos/484899_1.jpg

linda040899
11-13-2013, 12:43 PM
From what I can see in the photo, this a Double Dark factor Cinnamon Blue female. Cinnamon is a sex linked mutation and hens cannot be split for any genetics other than blue or whiteface. Basically, she is what you see. Can't tell from the photo if she's Pied or not.

ycho29
11-13-2013, 02:12 PM
yeah but from what i learned from genetics of lovebirds, I thought cinnamons are bright yellow with red marks on their cheeks. Is this because her base color is blue? (by blue does it mean she is turqueious? or aqua?). She said this might be opaline as well but she is not sure.

linda040899
11-13-2013, 02:47 PM
She's not Opaline, as she doesn't display the Opaline "hood." The bright yellow mutation you are thinking about is Lutino and that's green series. Lutino, in blue series, would be a soft yellow called Creamino.

There's Aqua, Turquoise and AquaTurquoise in blue series. She's one of the 3 but it's hard to see with just the one photo you've shared with us. Turquoise normally has a creamy white brow and bib and I'm seeing melon color on this female's brow. If the bib is white rather than a lighter melon color as seen on the head, then she's AquaTurquoise.