PDA

View Full Version : leaving lovebirds alone

ycho29
11-22-2013, 06:58 PM
I'm on a trip to NewYork for this Thanks giving and sadly I cant take my birds with me.. From 23-29 I will be having my friends come over and feed every two days. so In the afternoon of 23rd, I will be leaving with fresh foods and water (I put 3 coop cups for seeds diet and 1 coop cup for zupreem pellet, and 1 water bowl) I used to have one coop cup for food and the other for water. So I bought 3 more becasue I didnt want them to starve as they are raising 5 chicks... So on 24th evening, my friend will come over and change the food and water. and then 26th evening, and 28th evening and then i come back on 29th evening. Do you think this is enough for them to survive with 5 chicks that are 2weeks to 1week old? or should I put more feeder cups inside? Also, On the other cage I will be having a pet lovie alone that will be also fed by my friend over the week. Do you think he will become lonely?

longobongo
11-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Is it at all possible for your friend to take the birds to her house? Or for you to board them at all? I wouldn't leave my lovebirds alone longer than briefly overnight, in an emergency, but maybe it's just me. My birds are covered at night and prefer it that way, which protects them from drafts. I also turn their light on at a certain time and feed them at a certain time. My Bailey also won't drink day-old water, even if it is clean. I've always been nervous leaving them at all because you just never know. They could manage to completely spill a water dish and be without water, or get stuck on a toy they've been fine with for months. I wouldn't recommend leaving them.

ycho29
11-22-2013, 08:50 PM
I do appreciate your answer... but he cant take them becase he lives in apartment where no pets allowed. I was wondering whether 4 dishes are enough for 2 days. so the feeding schedule will be :

Saturday noon--> the day i leave
Sunday night
tuesday night
thursday night
Friday night --> the day i come back

linda040899
11-22-2013, 10:05 PM
No. Babies grow at a phenominal rate and need food every day. I have a pair with 2 youngsters and they go through 2 full dishes of food during daylight hours! If nothing else, food every day. If you are going to do food, then also do water.

ycho29
11-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Thats why I'm putting 4 dishes of food.... thats not enough to hold them for 2 days?

michael
11-23-2013, 01:18 AM
Good point from Linda is that they do need food (and fresh water) every day. Quadrupling their food source should suffice, but for any other "unpredictable" circumstance, they really should be visited every day or more. I would also set up emergency vet care, and always keep cell phones handy. Especially when there's webeebs involved. ... Please have a safe trip. And keep us posted.

linda040899
11-23-2013, 04:36 AM
Thats why I'm putting 4 dishes of food.... thats not enough to hold them for 2 days?
Not based on what I see with my own 2 youngsters. If they were 4 weeks old, they would be close to full size and eat less food. I'm using full size food cups with my 2 and the parents empty them every day. Parents need food for themselves, as well.

kimsbirds
11-23-2013, 08:34 PM
Agreed.
Water left longer than 12 hrs will become a breeding ground for bacteria.
You can't expect the parents to feed their babies dirty water, let alone drink it for themselves!
Sorry to sound harsh but you need to find a better way to deal with your absence.
Additionally, 4 dishes of food is not enough for a growing family of babies. Mine could polish off 4 dishes in less than a day with a full brood of screaming birds.

Just my:2cents:

Pips mom
11-24-2013, 09:39 AM
I think you need to have someone coming in there to feed/check on them a couple of times a day. Can't you find someone who can do this?? If it were just the birds with no babies, I'd say once a day! You have five little baby chicks who's lives depend on the care that you leave for them.