PDA

View Full Version : I'm so sad…Max is back to biting me again :(

Maxie
12-28-2013, 05:10 PM
I'm not sure why, but Max seems to be a little more aggressive these past couple of days. When I put my hand in the cage and he doesn't want me around, he'll bite my finger hard and make a little sound (I've understood it to be, "back off, I'm not in the mood" sound).
So, I'll walk away and come back about 15 mins later and try again…he'll be ok and do his friendly little chirp and lick my fingers…looking for dry skin :confused:

Could his mood change have anything to do with putting in the little happy hut in his cage (which he hasn't slept in yet)? It seems after I put it in his cage (about 2 nights now), his personality changed. Just when he was all loving and sleeping on my hand, he's done a 180 on me :very_sad:

What do you guys think it could be?

michael
12-28-2013, 07:09 PM
Happy huts, various toys and such, odd as it may sound, are often viewed as prospective mates or nesting sites. So yes, such objects can indeed stir up protective behavior. .. What you could try (carefully), is to remove the happy hut during the day, then replace it before he retires. If that doesn't seem to help much, then just remove the happy hut all together. Honestly, unless his environment is cold and/or drafty, lovies can manage just fine without a happy hut. .. Let us know how it goes. .......:)

Maxie
12-28-2013, 07:14 PM
Thanks Michael.
That's just too cute. I'll see how it goes tomorrow and I'll take it out of the cage during his playtime when he's far from his cage. It's too bad because those huts look so cozy to sleep in…wish I had one…lol :)

Angloody
03-02-2014, 02:40 AM
May be max feels lonely when most of the time you don't be around him

linda040899
03-02-2014, 06:34 AM
If you want to offer a Happy Hut (I have an intense dislike for them), put it in the cage only for sleeping. Michael is correct that they can be viewed as potential nesting sites and parrots will also become protective of them.

In addition, if Max starts using it, check it regularly for signs of wear or birdie beak destruction. Birds have died in them because they chewed the inside and got caught on a thread. I refuse to use them for this very reason.

Maxie
03-02-2014, 06:54 AM
I got rid of the happy hut about a week after I got it for him and then he stopped biting me. He didn't even sleep in it once…lol.