PDA

View Full Version : Chewing Abbys

linda040899
10-27-2005, 11:53 PM
Since the weather has gotten cooler, I'm starting to see my Abbys chewing up anything and everything in their cages! Perch diameter is getting thinner, and in some cases, one perch amazingly becomes 2!!! Abbys aren't usually good paper shredders but I've got one male who's an expert at pulverizing any paper he can get his beak on! I'm finally just giving him something he can work on and I'm finding what remains of it on the bottom of the cage.... My Abbys seem to skip a breeding yr and last yr was a "skip" yr. Everyone has nestboxes and with my luck, I'll have every hen laying at the same time! ~crossing my fingers and praying it happens... ~

Elle
10-28-2005, 07:19 AM
~keeping my fingers crossed for you~

bellarains
10-28-2005, 08:28 AM
Hmmmm,

Maybe they will have babies just in time for my trip South????? My Mom is moving next July, so that might just work just right :)

My hubby always says when he sees Miracle's picture, "We need one of those green birds" ;)

Janie
10-28-2005, 08:49 AM
:D.....yep, those green birds are just beautiful! I can only imagine how much more beautiful they are in person.

So Linda, if they take a year off, when they are back on, do they nest more than once during that time? Like 2 to 4 clutches a year like peach face lovies do?

Keltoth
10-28-2005, 09:45 AM
I'm hoping for you too, Linda; think good thoughts, and dim those lights... :)

-Eric

linda040899
10-28-2005, 11:15 AM
So Linda, if they take a year off, when they are back on, do they nest more than once during that time? Like 2 to 4 clutches a year like peach face lovies do?
Once Abbys get started, they can be very prolific! Since the babies don't leave the nestbox until they are about 7.5 weeks old, clutches take longer to wean and the most I've ever allowed is 2 clutches/yr. Abbys are cold weather breeders and will start in late October, early November, depending on where they are living. Here in FL, the weather gets very warm as early as April so that limits the number of babies produced, at least where I'm at.

I don't separate my pairs and I don't take down nestboxes. My hens have always put themselves on breeder rest and I'm content with their schedule. I prefer not to interfere unless I have no options. :) All it takes it one hen to get broody and it becomes very contagious!

mjm8321
10-28-2005, 02:51 PM
~All fingers and toes crossed here for you~

I've never seen an Abby in person, perhaps that's a good thing, because I do not think I could resist. ;)

linda040899
10-28-2005, 05:08 PM
Abyssinians are absolutely charming! My love affair with them has been going on since 1994 and my fascination has never lessened. :) They are my greatest love and my biggest heartache all rolled up into 60 grams of feathers. It's been a while since I've had chicks. I can say I'm ready.

Paulette
10-28-2005, 06:16 PM
The Abbies sound very interesting......I hope you get lots of eggs.

mjm8321
10-28-2005, 06:47 PM
In case anyone is interested, here's the link to see pictures of Linda's Abbys....don't think you'd mind me including your own pictures on your board ;) http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/abyssinian.html I think Linda has the best pictures I've seen of Abbys.

LauraO
10-28-2005, 07:37 PM
Thanx for posting that link MJ. It's been a while since I've seen them and they are great :D.

Good luck with the baby making Linda. I've had all 21 of my birds cross their toes to ensure lots of abby's :D :D

BarbieH
10-29-2005, 08:37 AM
Think good thoughts, and dim those lights... Maybe play a little Barry White too. ;)

bellarains
10-29-2005, 08:41 AM
Oh Yeah,

A little low lighting, some soft Barry in the backgound, a little figgy wine. If that don't get em goin, nothin will ;)